Reverse Glow Guages Or White Faced W/ Led Bulbs

larrym1961

5 Year Member
Dec 18, 2010
Idaho Falls Id
I currently have white face gauges. I need to remove my speedometer to give the mechanism a good cleaning w/ brake parts cleaner and replace speedo cable. While I have the gauge cluster out, I want to either replace the regular dash bulbs with either the 194 5 LED Wide Angle bulbs, or go with a set of Reverse Glow Gauges from American Muscle.

If you have Reverse Glow Gauges how do you like them? Or would the white faced gauges I currently have w/ LED bulbs be the better choice?

• Sponsors (?)

I dunno but once upon a time I had the white faced overlays and they were terrible. The numbers looked like the font one would find on a box of fireworks and at nite it was dim as sht. I ended up ordering a used oem Cobra cluster. I think I'd buy the led bulbs so it wouldn't be so damn dim.

. IMO the reverse glow guage covers are an old aged mod and look tacky ,"cheap" ! Look like guages you would see on a $400 Civic with a 18 year old teen driving.
These Fox Mustangs deserve better. This is my opinion, "and you asked" so take it or leave it.

IMO even the white guage faces are an "aged mod". Everyone has done it at one time or another but if you have them now stick with them.

These days I tend to appreciate a clean Fox with the original black faces. They look really nice with updated LEDS that you mentioned.

History: I had reverse glow stuff in my vert 15 years ago. I removed them for white face covers 10 years ago. Last year I put back original black covers. LOL
I'm thinking of doing the LEDS, just haven't got to it yet.

Last edited:
I still have my factory black gauge overlays somewhere I just need to find them. That is really what I would like to do is take the white ones off and go back to those with LEDS. The only problem with that is if I can't find the OEM ones I took off I am pretty much stuck with the white ones because no one makes nor have I been able to find black replacement ones unless I buy another used cluster w a 140 mph speedo. I see LMRS has replacement black ones for 79 to 86 but for nothing beyond those years.

I still have my factory black gauge overlays somewhere I just need to find them. That is really what I would like to do is take the white ones off and go back to those with LEDS. The only problem with that is if I can't find the OEM ones I took off I am pretty much stuck with the white ones because no one makes nor have I been able to find black replacement ones unless I buy another used cluster w a 140 mph speedo. I see LMRS has replacement black ones for 79 to 86 but for nothing beyond those years.

I know what you mean. My car originally came with an 85mph speedo. So, back when I went to the "white" 140mph faces I had the speedo recalibrated and tossed the oem 85 mph faces.
Last year when I went back to black faces I was lucky enough to find some nice used oem Black 140mph faces on Ebay for cheap.

It was much cheaper than replacing the entire cluster.

Good Luck!

I like my white faced gauges with white LED's

old

white faced
20141113_113543_zps4ee32dee.jpg

Attachments

• 20130330_164737.jpg
    20130330_164737.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 20141221_171919_zpsc1f3ff8d.jpg
    20141221_171919_zpsc1f3ff8d.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 156
Stock gauges here, with LED bulbs. Unbelievable difference in clarity. Makes the car feel new again.

IMO, white faced gauges and reverse glow gauges have no place on a Fox body. The interior is just too dated and raw to pull it off.

Reactions: 1 user
How I feel when I see those new one peice headlights and new LED taillight a. These cars just too old to pull it off.

All those stock parts that got pulled off years ago will now have a market

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Stock is BACK! You guys had me worried. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person that has grown to "re-like" and appreciate a stock, clean looking interior.

Tell me that ain't purdy!;)
IMG_20140421_174520_520.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Stock is BACK! You guys had me worried. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person that has grown to "re-like" and appreciate a stock, clean looking interior.

Tell me that ain't purdy!;)
IMG_20140421_174520_520.jpg
Kinda wish in could go back to stock. I have the oem one hanging on the garage wall w the crappy white overlays... I guess at least w the cobra cluster it reads 160 vs 150 mph....

My factory ones got ripped to sht when taking them off