Reverse lights not working

Gabriel Aparicio

Apr 12, 2013
I have a 94 GT 5.0L automatic mustang and it was recently in a wreck and was marked off as totaled. I wasnt going to let her die so i rebuilt her. Everything is good and back up to par except for the reverse lights, which i need working to pass an inspection for a salvaged restored title. I've tried swapping out bulbs but no luck - any ideas? Both reverse lights are not working but every other light is. Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Check the switch that's connected to your trans when you trans is in reverse it pushes in this button on the end of the switch making contact through the switch going to the reverse lights. You know?

Check the switch that's connected to your trans when you trans is in reverse it pushes in this button on the end of the switch making contact through the switch going to the reverse lights. You know?
So theres a switch on the tranny? im not exactly sure what i should be looking for - is it like an actual switch? is it something the tranny should be hitting when put into reverse? how would i go about fixing it then?

I know in the manual its something that screws into the tranny when you put it in reverse you roll over the little bar ... when you look at the trans its something that screws into the trans and has a pigtakl wire comes out

'94 automatic will have an AODE and that has an MLPS switch on the drivers side of the transmission. The shift rod goes through it. You'll probably have a cable that runs from your floorboard down to the shift rod. That's where you'll find your MLPS (manual lever position switch), the MLPS also acts as a neutral safety switch. Start there. Try to find a good used one from a local trans shop just to throw on there to see if that fixes it. Or start checking for wiring issues from there back.

A picture (or even 2) is worth a thousand words...

94-95 Mustang backup lights.gif
94-95 transmission wiring.gif