Progress Thread Reviving The Cobra Ii

Josmen

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2001
California
Hi everyone, just wanted to say hi as I get started on my 76 II again. Little backstory, I got my 76 Cobra II when I was in high school, drove it around for 4-5 years and then parked it as I started driving long distances and needed something a bit more practical. Well, fast forward 10 years, still have it, it's been parked inside and in okay condition. Looking to revive it and make it a daily driver again, maybe modernize it a bit if I can. Don't have any major plans right now other then just getting it moving under it's own power and passing Smog (CA smog laws are a pain).

I am guessing besides lot of new rubber hoses and such I am going to drop the tank and clean it, check out the carb and redo the electrical (needed to be done before I parked it). I remember this forum being a great resource back then and hope to get plugged back in and maybe even contribute a bit if I can. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome my friend, but aside from one or two of us, you're going to mostly hear crickets chirping here. most of the folks I saw posting a few years ago moved on to mustangii.net
We're going to work on that. By all means, post on Mustangii.net, but I'm hoping to revive this community too.

Hi everyone, just wanted to say hi as I get started on my 76 II again. Little backstory, I got my 76 Cobra II when I was in high school, drove it around for 4-5 years and then parked it as I started driving long distances and needed something a bit more practical. Well, fast forward 10 years, still have it, it's been parked inside and in okay condition. Looking to revive it and make it a daily driver again, maybe modernize it a bit if I can. Don't have any major plans right now other then just getting it moving under it's own power and passing Smog (CA smog laws are a pain).

I am guessing besides lot of new rubber hoses and such I am going to drop the tank and clean it, check out the carb and redo the electrical (needed to be done before I parked it). I remember this forum being a great resource back then and hope to get plugged back in and maybe even contribute a bit if I can. Thanks!

When getting a new one back on the road after a long hibernation, it's a good idea to drain and refill all of the fluids, give the entire electrical system (as much of it as you can visually check) a good once-over, replace cork gaskets where you can (oil pan, valvecovers, trans pan if automatic), replace any and all rubber hoses you can (some of them just aren't easy to find for these cars), and flush and bleed the brakes (check for leaks at caliper pistons and wheel cylinders as well). Might also want to check the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, and you'll definitely need to address the battery (probably won't hold a charge, but you can try with a good pulse-charger like a Battery Tender or Battery Tender Jr.)

I've done the "long hibernation revival" too many times over the years, but it's ALWAYS rewarding when it starts.