Ridiculous vibration

I agree. I'd lean towards something clutch related isn't right.

Especially if this problem only started after those parts were replaced.
I'm gonna work with my mechanic buddy to pop the trans off and double check everything. I just wasn't sure it could be trans if I'm sitting still and clutch pushed in. And I thought a out of balance flywheel would make it feel like the car was coming apart. The higher rpms 4500/5000 almost makes it feel like it smooths out cause it gets vibrating so fast.

Reactions: 1 user
Having an xcam, will that throw off this balance test? Would it be best to try and unplug one injector at a time and listen for changes in idle? I think that's what I read on how to do it manually

Mine passes the cyl balance test with a lumpy letter cam. Unless you are also sniffing the exhaust for O2 and fuel (Not a good idea), the computer test is better. I suppose the manual way, along with testing for each injector’s resistance and click while unplugged would be OK. But following the write up procedures is worth the time it takes to read through several times to fully understand what you need to do.
Also, I have never had a fouled plug or bad wire shake like this description. A flat six I have can blow off three wires on the same bank and run smoothly. Power just drops With each cylinder not helping. A V engine vibrates more with a misfire, but not like it will fly apart like this.

Sorry for the confusion, mine doesn't vibrate like it's going to fly apart it's just an aggressive vibration that comes through the shifter then into the butt of my seat once I go over 3k rpms. The flying apart comment was what I heard about having the wrong flywheel balance.

Yes, it got so bad that it ruined the trans slip yoke.
ed
Had a buddy over and helped me through the balance test and it passed. I appreciate all the info on that from the guys earlier. I was reading that the drive shaft shouldnt have any play going into the back of the trans, am i correct? which mine does, im assuming that is the sign of the bushing being bad? eggsmith, that sound right?

I bought a 93 coupe a few years back, 2.3L, 5 speed. Guy said it had a vibration. Give him $400 for it, trailered it home. I got it home and started the engine. Yes it had a vibration. Terrible vibration, but it ran, poorly. It was running on 3 cylinders. #3 rod was laying on the K-member and a large hole in the side of the block. Believe it or not I drove it around the neighborhood like that until it finally ran completely out of oil and seized. A 2.3 that runs on 3 cylinders is SLOOOOWWWW. The broken rod, the big end was still on the crank but the beam part was broken off and the piston was stuffed up into the cylinder. Non-interference engine; the head was not hurt, valves, just the block and oil pan. I could've repaired it. Nah, 2.3's are given away all the time, picked up a low mile one from a 92 Convertible that a guy gave away when doing a 5.0 swap, dropped it into the car, and drove it for like over 100,000 miles. Good car. And cheap. I like cheap.

Reactions: 1 user