Brakes Right front and left rear brakes locked up.

2Tuff

Nov 3, 2019
Wisconsin
The right front and left rear brakes on my 1971 Mach 1 parts car are locked up. Both are drum brakes My first guess as to the source of the problem is the master cylinder. Can I remove the brake lines to those wheels to get the brakes to release, or do I need pursue something else? I don't care if the brakes ever work again.

Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

It is doubtful that the master cylinder is causing it as they are split front/rear. Not diagonally. If it is hydraulic pressure causing it, the easy way would be to loosen or remove the bleed screws from the offending wheel cylinder

The break pads have probably swelled due to break fluid getting on them or something else. I had this happen to my car years ago when my dad still had it. Take the break line loose just to see if you get lucky. I wouldn't hold my breath over it though. Most likely you will need to completely loosen the tightener. If you are not familiar with doing that look it up on YouTube. I'm not sure how to explain it well with out getting super wordy. Once it is loose you MIGHT be able to pull the drum easy. Chances are you will either have to get a large 3 jaw puller and pull the crap out of it while hitting with a hammer from the back side or if you can't get a puller you'll just have to beat on the drums with a big hammer or maul.

This is one of the reasons drum breaks suck.

The break pads have probably swelled due to break fluid getting on them or something else. I had this happen to my car years ago when my dad still had it. Take the break line loose just to see if you get lucky. I wouldn't hold my breath over it though. Most likely you will need to completely loosen the tightener. If you are not familiar with doing that look it up on YouTube. I'm not sure how to explain it well with out getting super wordy. Once it is loose you MIGHT be able to pull the drum easy. Chances are you will either have to get a large 3 jaw puller and pull the crap out of it while hitting with a hammer from the back side or if you can't get a puller you'll just have to beat on the drums with a big hammer or maul.

This is one of the reasons drum breaks suck.
Thank you

Very common on cars that have been setting for a long time ,rust in the drums or just the liners swelling . Loosen the adjusters and the drums should pull off ,if not ,soak the area the drum slips over the axle with wd40 and hit around the area with a hammer and the drum should come off

hit around the area with a hammer and the drum should come off

But sometime they don't.

I harvested this pair of spindles a little while ago for Member seanw
Was a bastard with the shoes fused to the drums and all hardware rusted solid ( 30+ yrs sitting in shed)
I hit it with 2lb sledge... a lot...Spray...most of can...Torch... till tank ran out...many new and colorful verbal language enhancers and finally beer helped
Being on the car would of been easier to do...maybe

good luck!
:coff:

1JYyWfGsQnmSxx7hueRt%g.jpg

Yes thats congealing blood

fullsizeoutput_18f8.jpeg
yxhJ4hLOSG23q7tvZVo5Eg.jpg