RIP Mustang

Sparxx

Feb 3, 2009
Ok during Christmas I was finally able to scan some pictures while I was at my parents. I just wish my father would have taken more pictures of the cars he has had. Anyway I figure this is the best place to post this. Here is the Mustang my father picked up in the mid 70s. This picture is when he first got it. Had minor dents and dings all over. Also haad a color change at some point. It was white when new.
View attachment 234166

First things he changed was the rims and tires and shackled the rear and added air shocks. By this time he had parts laying around from perivous Mustangs. Then he took it and did a quick fix basically. Did the body work and paint. For some reason didn't take the time to do all the trunk and hood jams.??? Not sure why it wasn't done when the color was changed. The door jams were done but not the hood and trunk areas. Here are the body shop pictures.
View attachment 234167
View attachment 234168

Here it is after paint.
View attachment 234169
View attachment 234170
View attachment 234171
(yes I gave him crap about the clean car with dirty tires)

The car stayed in that condition until around 1980. If you want a happy ending stop reading now.

At this point they had two Mustangs this one and the 1978 Cobra II. They decided to sell one and it was this one. A young kid came and took a look at it and was intrested. My dad told him if he wanted to take it for a drive he could. He did but didn't know how to drive a stick so he told my dad to drive it and he would just ride along. After they got back he told him he would be back with the cash and he wanted it. A couple days later he showed back up with the cash. After a quick lesson on how to drive a stick the kid left, killing it a couple time in the parking lot.

Well shortly there after he must have figured out how to drive it. He managed to run a cop off the road and the officer only managed to get a partial plate number off of it. When tring to run the plate anoughter officer who knew my father and his Mustang was on his way over to meeet him the picked up the car in town. I was towed to the body shop where my father worked. Just so happened the kid failed to register the car in his name yet. So when he came to pick it up my father told him it would be considered theft until he could prove he transfered the title. Needless to say he was in enough trouble he went and transfered it. Wasn't long after that he lost control and put it in a ditch. When it went in the ditch it caught a drainage pipe and rolled the floor pan under. Bent the rear axle and snapped the shaft. It rolled and destroyed the car.

Well now my father is working on a '67 to replace this car basically and one of the salvage yards the guy loves Mustangs. He has picked up everyone he sees in the area. So he went out there to see what he had for parts. While walking around the Mustangs he found something surprising. The wrecked Mustang. Easy to identify by the white in the trunk and under the hood area. But the easiest way was the white pinstriping on the dash. The years havent been kind to it much like the previous owner. It sadly is too far gone to fix. Many parts have been stripped off it. But surprisingly the slotted mag and front brake and a arm are still in the trunk. Bent rear axle was near by also. Here are the pictures as it now sits.
View attachment 234172
View attachment 234173
View attachment 234174
View attachment 234175
View attachment 234176
View attachment 234177
View attachment 234178
View attachment 234179
View attachment 234180

• Sponsors (?)

Man that is a cool story. Every time I'm in the old Mustang boneyard, when I look at a car I always wonder what kind of stories that car could tell and what all it has seen and been through. You actually know the history behind that one! Hate that it's so rough though.