rough cold start on my 85 gt

jcnunez85gt

Apr 13, 2009
San Diego
when i start my car in the morning it does not start right away and then after it starts on it idles low i sometime have to push on the gas to keep it from turning off. but after it warms up it idles fine and it starts up fine as well. any idea what it could be.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you know what temp. spark plug you are running? I have two degrees colder than factory in mine and it makes for a rough start up on cold days. Ones it is warmed up it runs like a dream.

Well for starters you probably should have a 4 barrel on there...not that the 2 barrel won't "work" but it's definitely not ideal. Second, i'm guessing it probably has an electric choke...that could be your problem. It may just need maintenance.

ok thanks for the advice. o and my car is not overheating anymore. The problem was that the ignition timing was off. i drove it today and it stays in the middle of the temp gauge. But other than that thanks for the advice. ill check the choke on the carburator and ill try to buy a 4 barrel. is it really that bad to have a two barrel.