Rough Idle, Dies Shortly After

j0rd4n

Jul 29, 2013
I Have a 88 notchback 5.0 efi and recently i upgraded the whole engine from summit with their build 306 (heads,cam,pistons,bored out,) along with that i got what i thought it would need to shine, 24# injectors 70mm throttlebody gt40upper and lower intake, Upgraded MAF for 24# injectors. pretty much the whole MR.T starter kit.

Now my issue is when the car starts the idle is extremely rough, and it either dies shortly after idling rough or immediately after i give it gas and let off. i have been able to drive it for short times by keeping the idle high but it doesnt work well at all. It normally will die trying to put it in gear.
i should mention the car sat for a while maybe a year but with more then a quarter tank and then i filled it fresh gas and it started immediately after thew new build but idled poorly since

So far i briefly searched for Vac leaks as well as tested the TPS voltage wich is .99 volts

open for suggestions

• Sponsors (?)

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 159,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

Reactions: 1 user
Going to have to run some codes first. Nearly impossible to diagnose without those first. But yes it could be a vacuum leak. Rule out the electronics first and then look at mechanical issues is my advise.

Going to have to run some codes first. Nearly impossible to diagnose without those first. But yes it could be a vacuum leak. Rule out the electronics first and then look at mechanical issues is my advise.

i talked to my brother and i guess he just set it by ear we never actually timed it... guess that could be my issue. the rotor isnt even completely tightened lol