Round 1 of 418 install

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
Well, I started the day with a parts run that was semi-successful. I wasn't able to find any fox tb swap parts tho. The first junkyard I checked didn't have anything usefull, and the second one close 8 minutes before I got there :fuss:. I guess that will have to wait til another day...

I then finished up bolting on some misc. parts to the engine. That lime-away that tmoss suggested to clean my fuel rails worked awesome! :nice: So after cleaning up/installing some parts, we took the engine off the stand to install the flywheel and clutch. When dad broke out the air chisel to change the pilot bearing, I decided it was time for another parts run to get a pilot bearing puller. It took less than 5 minutes to get the pilot bearing out with the puller, so to anyone who needs to replace their pilot bearing, make sure you rent a puller when you buy the bearing! That will save you a LOT of time and a huge headace.

Here's how it looked at this point
100_0628.JPG

After we finished painting my valve covers, installed them, and installed the wiring on the engine, it was time to set it in the car. To anyone doing a 351 swap or installing a 7 quart oil pan on your 5.0, I ran into clearance problems with the steering rack and the small bar that goes accross the bottom of the k-member. I just removed the bar, but I will need offset rack bushing to clear the front of the oil pan. I test fit the headers(kooks) on the passenger side, and it looks like they should fit fine. It's definitely a tight squeeze, but it looks like they will clear.

Round 2 will be tomorrow, Im gonna install the drivetrain, headers, and hopefully finish up the wiring. It doesn't look like hood clearance is gonna be an issue, but I'm gonna check it tomorrow. I need more clearance for my tb, so I need figure out if I want to install an intake spacer or another/different egr spacer.

Here's a few pics of the engine in the car(finally!), and Im off to bed. :sleep:
100_0634.JPG

100_0635.JPG

100_0636.JPG

100_0637.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Looks wonderful. I love the engine bay work more every time I see it. Great job.

One suggestion. Everything looks outstanding, maybe a nice Goodyear hi miler coolant hose kit or something. Just something to dress up the old black hoses.

Just a suggestion. Looks great though. I would deffinetly like to see the finished product.

I got the complete drivetrain bolted back in today! Now that the engine is level it doesn't hit on the steering rack. :D It's still pretty close, so I think I'll get some offset bushings anyway. A tubular k-member would have been really nice, but right now Im not even sure I can make my insurance payment thats due next month. I kinda forgot about it lol.

I also got the headers installed. It took me a couple tries to figure out which order the tubes go in, but after that they all went in nice and easy from the top. The x-pipe is gonna take some work to get it to fit so I put that off till later.

I wasn't able to start on the wiring, or check hood clearance today, so that'll be one night this week. If I get the rest of the parts this week, and don't run into too much trouble installing them :), it should be running next weekend.

I've got a couple more pics from today that I should have posted in a little while. Gotta get something to eat first. :D

Here's the pics from today. The upper intake is just sitting there right now with two bolts holding it. My fox tb is hitting the fuel rails, but I need to check hood clearance to see which way I need to go, either a different egr spacer or an intake spacer.

100_0638.JPG

100_0639.JPG

100_0640.JPG

BlueOvalStangGT said:
Thats pretty sweet man! Looks like alot of fun. Are you gonna run nitrous or anything on top of that in the future?

Nope, no nitrous. I've thought about adding a turbo in the future, but that's probably gonna be waaayyyyy too much power for a street car.

eades5.0 said:
That bay is impressive....who did all the molding?
Looks flawless...cept for them tiny headers..haha

Thanks, I did all the work and it's far from flawless. I found out you can see waves after paint that you might not have seen with just primer :rolleyes:. It could be a lot better, but its 1238961246x better than it was when I started lol.