RRS Strut front suspension conversion done! [100kb pic]

C0V3R

Feb 14, 2003
Australia
I have finally installed the RRS Struts that I bought as a part of a local (Aus) RRS Group buy. The installation is quite straight forward, and excepting brake lines was done in one decent days work at home, including removal of old suspension bits.

I had to get different brake lines made up as I didn't feel inclined to change my hard lines due to different flares on the brake fittings and where I wanted to mount the lines. I expect for most mustang installations it is nescessary to change either the hard lines or the RRS lines due to brake line fitting differences and mounting point positions.

Excepting brake line issues, the kit is very complete and the instructions are clear with colour pictures.

Due to difficulties with the steering (http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?p=4882283) I haven't been able to fully test the setup yet. Those problems were not at all related to the RRS stuff - they were present before the install. I will post back when I have tested the setup more thoroughly.

See pics of the install here:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/c0v3r/struts/

Final Product:
IMG_4086_rs.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4086_rs.jpg
    IMG_4086_rs.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Sponsors (?)

Wait a minute, I know it probably doesn't make all that difference but shouldn't they have put those calipers toward the rear of the car? (centralise mass) They do look like they might be too big to fit there though.

Can you comment on unsprung mass saved? Did you get a feel (or even weigh) the bits that came out and went in?

Re: calipers, maybe, I hadn't thought about weight distribution, I would think the difference is negligible.

It is definately lighter than the stock setup (with cast iron calipers), I'd say a couple/few kilos different on each side - so maybe 4-8kg all up.

This is probably achieved mostly in having a smaller spindle setup with aluminium calipers.

They have a drag race setup with lighter discs/etc which is supposed to be 12kg lighter.

one2gamble said:
looks clean, set her on the ground so I can see how she sits

I'll take some photos at the current ride height - I rased it about 1 inch from when the pictures were taken due to my long tubes scraping over speed bumps. From where it is now I can drop it 30mm futher.

links to pics

I have since taken the car out for trackdays and spirited street drives and I have to say that I am very happy with the handling. Funny thing was at the open track day I was keeping up with new cars in the corners but losing them in the straights - opposite of what I expected.

The setup has really reduced the bump steer that was present with the shelby dropped setup I had before, and smoothed out the feel of the road alot. The ride height adjustment is really nice.

I am thinking about putting in their spherical strut rod setup as well at the moment but havent got there yet.

67efivert said:
i got to ask what was ur prior brake setup?? strut looks good too

Prior brake setup was taken from our local Australian Falcons. Aluminium calipers and 287mm discs that are a bit thicker than the normal mustang ones. Spindle geometry felt better in terms of bump steer than what the car came with (I assume stock mustang, but perhaps it was granada). Spindles + discs were a bolt on affair.

Thanks.

Wow, on their site, the price is insane. In fact, they want 4500 for the stage 3 in USD and 5245 in AUD.. Convert the AUD to USD and its only like $3900ish. Thats a huge difference.

The stuff looks great, but a little pricey. After looking at the griggs setup, I thought it was expensive, but really, you are getting a power steering setup too. The install is much more extensive though.

This stuff is WAAAY pricey for what you get. Two years ago at the 40th Anniversary Mustang show in Nashville they had a car with one side mocked up. Clean, bolt-in install...but the price was insane. The guy went blah-blah-blah justifying R&D, etc...but I just don't see it. Basic mac strut, PBR brakes...

There has become a tendency to shaft the classic mustang owners on this stuff. For my GTO, I bought a Baer kit[PBR 2 piston floating caliper (stock Corvette unit), 14" two piece rotors w/ aluminum hats, CNC'd aluminum brackets, woven stainless lines] for $800 as part of a group purchase. They can be had for ~900 or a bit less on a regular basis. WHY do we pay TWICE that for a similar setup for our cars? Total nonsense.

Glad you are happy with the handling and road feel.