Run a turbo engine as N/A?

Biffmeistro

Feb 16, 2006
Righto, I was wondering if it would be easy to run a turbo engine as an N/A. Basically, I found an 88 TC in the junkyard, and if the compression tests run right, I might pick it up. Only, it doesn't have a turbo or the IC or anything. I was wondering if I could pull my 93 N/A engine, and swap in the long block of the 88 TC, and run it N/A with the intake and exhaust headers that I have in the car right now, so that in the future I could just buy and install the turbo setup, without having to swap the engine.

• Sponsors (?)

Bhuff did this with his Mustang. If you do a search you can find what he did. You will be basically running a turbo motor just with no boost. You will still need the computer for a turbo car and the other things for the swap.

Now that I think about it more, you probably could just swap the engines and have the wheezy non-turbo turbo engine run alright. However, it would make even less power than the N/A and would be even worse to drive around until it got the huffer back on there. I think it would be better to just sit on the turbo longblock until you can get it all together.

EDIT: Get some phonedialer wheels or something ehile you're at it.:D :nice:

I want to get ahold of some of the alloy wheels that were a factory option for the LX. Either that or GT Turbines. I would keep the wheels I have, except they're not even metal. It's a cheap poly moulding.

alloy wheels

I have a complete set of good condition 15" "10 hole" rims that I swapped off of my 1993 LX. They have a set of Bridgestone Eager 225-60ZR15's on them with a fair amount of treadlife on them. Interested?

you can swap in all the turbo stuff, Engine, ECU, VAM, etc, and install the N/A manifold on it, and the car will run just fine. I drove mine that way for a week or 2 while my turbo was getting rebuilt. The car was actually faster too, The Turbo computer is a little more agressive then the N/A computer was.

Dr.