Running Hog Rich, Efi

Zedisdead

Jan 15, 2017
I got a 87GT a lil bit back. I got the thing to where she runs reliably but she is still so damn fat.I haven't been able to figure out why I am running so rich and she starts bogging down on acceleration. Injectors are new when I got it I had to fix one of them without a o ring and the MAF was backwards. I am a :taco: hair away from doing a carburetor setup on her but I would like to fix the EFI if possible. It runs a little bit better after it is warm but not by much.

• Sponsors (?)

List of any parts swapped and mods will help, maybe a pic of the engine, there is a sticky thing that shows how to run the codes, thats the first thing to do.
No carb needed, efi is fixable and worth the efforts.

It has a gt40 intake and heads is all I know that it has been done maybe a cam.
20170115_112413.jpg
20170115_112517.jpg

Dump the codes: Codes may be present even if the Check Engine Light (CEL) isn't on.

Dumping the computer diagnostic codes on 86-95 Mustangs

Revised 26-July-2011. Added need to make sure the clutch is pressed when dumping codes.

Codes may be present even if the check engine light hasn’t come on, so be sure to check for them.

Here's the way to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

Post the codes you get and I will post 86-93 model 5.0 Mustang specific code definitions and fixes. I do not have a complete listing for 94-95 model 5.0 Mustangs at this time.

Be sure to turn off the A/C, and put the transmission in neutral when dumping the codes. On a manual transmission car, be sure to press the clutch to the floor.
Fail to do this and you will generate a code 67 and not be able to dump the Engine Running codes.

Underhoodpictures007-01.jpg

Underhoodpictures010.jpg

If your car is an 86-88 stang, you'll have to use the test lamp or voltmeter method. There is no functional check engine light on the 86-88's except possibly the Cali Mass Air cars.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58312&stc=1&d=1242744354%20.gif
The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

89 through 95 cars have a working Check Engine light. Watch it instead of using a test lamp.

attachment.php

The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

WARNING!!! There is a single dark brown connector with a black/orange wire. It is the 12 volt power to the under the hood light. Do not jumper it to the computer test connector. If you do, you will damage the computer.

What to expect:
You should get a code 11 (two single flashes in succession). This says that the computer's internal workings are OK, and that the wiring to put the computer into diagnostic mode is good. No code 11 and you have some wiring problems. This is crucial: the same wire that provides the ground to dump the codes provides signal ground for the TPS, EGR, ACT and Map/Baro sensors. If it fails, you will have poor performance, economy and driveablity problems

Some codes have different answers if the engine is running from the answers that it has when the engine isn't running. It helps a lot to know if you had the engine running when you ran the test.

Dumping the Engine Running codes: The procedure is the same, you start the engine with the test jumper in place. Be sure the A/C is off, and clutch (if present) is pressed to the floor, and the transmission is in neutral. You'll get an 11, then a 4 and the engine will speed up to do the EGR test. After the engine speed decreases back to idle, it will dump the engine running codes.

Trouble codes are either 2 digit or 3 digit, there are no cars that use both 2 digit codes and 3 digit codes.

Your 86-88 5.0 won't have a working Check Engine Light, so you'll need a test light.
See AutoZone Part Number: 25886 , $10

Alternate methods:
For those who are intimidated by all the wires & connections, see Actron® for what a typical hand scanner looks like. Normal retail price is about $30 or so at AutoZone or Wal-Mart.

Or for a nicer scanner see www.midwayautosupply.com/Equus-Digital-Ford-Code-Reader/dp/B000EW0KHW Equus - Digital Ford Code Reader 3145.
It has a 3 digit LCD display so that you don’t have to count flashes or beeps.. Cost is $22-$36.
41P3GQVDSHL._SS270_.jpg

Look underneath to see if the O2 sensors are there and installed in the exhaust pipes just after the headers. Sometimes you find them just hanging in the air and the mounting bungs are plugged. I was told this throws the computor into default mode 12:1 AF which is rich for idle and cruise but works at WOT

Thanks for all the replies. Does the car have to be at running temps if it has been having these issues would they be stored or does the car have to get to operating temp for codes to be thrown correctly? If it has to be fully warm I won't be able to get the results yet because I got a loose flywheel and that wont be fixed for a week or 2.

It makes a knocking sound from the bell housing any revs will make it go away I am assuming its the flywheel and hope it is so I can just tighten it down. What other sounds would come from the bell housing like that? It does need new bearings the guy didn't change them when he put a new clutch in but the knock doesn't change at all when I press the clutch. it started a couple days ago and it is pretty damn loud now. Here and there it will go away for a little bit at idle.

In addition to being properly torqued, flywheel bolts should also have Loctite or similar thread locker applied to them at installation. If the last installation did not include thread locker, that could explain bolts coming loose.

You can run half the codes with the engine not running. It will at least get us started.

I second the wiring mess the PO left you. I see the smog and EGR stuff has been yanked, and some sort of rats-nest of wiring where the 10-pin connectors were. Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies that the PO did things "correctly". Even the heater core is bypassed and I notice wiring just laying around.

I also would think it would be easier to swap to carb as well as it's going to be a little bit of work to clean that all up. I'd start by dumping th codes and lets see how bad things really are.

At least that GT-40 is pretty darn sexy though.

I know I love the way that gt-40 looks that is the only thing making me want to make it work. Do you think I would get any takers on a trade for a quality carb setup on these forums?
Later today or tomorrow I will borrow a obd reader and post the results.

I think you could.

Value on the intake is maybe $350-400 for the upper alone, and then add in the value of a common 302 GT40 lower ($100-150) or so .

So figure $500 ish. If you could find someone who had this setup, and willing to trade, it would be worth it.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/edelbroc...ormer-600-cfm-carburetor-289-302/p/EDL2031-V/

Problem is, there are far more people going EFI to carb, vs the other way around.