Running Rich

Matt Bertrand

Feb 5, 2018
Hello all, I recently bought a 2000 mustang GT that I (thought) was pretty unmolested.... boy was I wrong.. after I bought it, I brought it straight to my job where I have a lift, I threw it up there and immediately noticed there were no cats.... this is an issue as I have to pass emissions this month (dallas TX). After driving it for about 50 miles the CEL pops on for bank 2 o2 sensor being to rich... I assume this is expected considering there’s no freaking catalytic converters on the car.. Also noticed the car has these purple oversized injectors ANYWAY, long story short here’s my question.. could these injectors be causing the car to run way to rich? It appears to be the stock fuel system other than those injectors.. Or is it the lack of catalytic converters? Also it feels like it has a miss under load

Ps: the guy who sold it to me was bragging about how he tuned the car with his SVT tuner... do you think all these issues could be tuned out?

• Sponsors (?)

Hello all, I recently bought a 2000 mustang GT that I (thought) was pretty unmolested.... boy was I wrong.. after I bought it, I brought it straight to my job where I have a lift, I threw it up there and immediately noticed there were no cats.... this is an issue as I have to pass emissions this month (dallas TX). After driving it for about 50 miles the CEL pops on for bank 2 o2 sensor being to rich... I assume this is expected considering there’s no freaking catalytic converters on the car.. Also noticed the car has these purple oversized injectors ANYWAY, long story short here’s my question.. could these injectors be causing the car to run way to rich? It appears to be the stock fuel system other than those injectors.. Or is it the lack of catalytic converters? Also it feels like it has a miss under load

Ps: the guy who sold it to me was bragging about how he tuned the car with his SVT tuner... do you think all these issues could be tuned out?

I would assume they are the "Violet" 22lb injectors and not the "Purple" 65lb injectors. IIRC, stock injectors should be 19lbs and yellow on your 2000 GT 4.6, so yes, if the vehicle wasn't tuned for them properly then it would run rich. Having no cats isn't helping with the smell if that's how you're determining it's rich..

Last edited:
Also noticed the car has these purple oversized injectors ANYWAY, long story short here’s my question.. could these injectors be causing the car to run way to rich? It appears to be the stock fuel system other than those injectors.. Or is it the lack of catalytic converters?
The missing cats are not causing the engine to run rich.

But injectors that are too large compared to the tune most certainly will cause a rich condition.

I’m thinking so, the only thing that keeps me hesitant is will I be losing a large amount of power by reverting back to original equipment (injectors, & cats)
You aren't giving up a large amount of power with a car that runs like crap........

Shush. Don't tell. But removing the cats don't really increase HP that much. Often people forget the part about needing to "pass inspection".

I honestly wouldn't let something like that get in the way of a well driving daily driver. Ford really has done a good job putting the Mustang together from the Factory.

Reactions: 1 users
You aren't giving up a large amount of power with a car that runs like crap........

Shush. Don't tell. But removing the cats don't really increase HP that much. Often people forget the part about needing to "pass inspection".

I honestly wouldn't let something like that get in the way of a well driving daily driver. Ford really has done a good job putting the Mustang together from the Factory.
Hahaha sounds good, I’ll try go with then, Thanks