Rusty stuck bolts above Cats

I've had an offroad X sitting in my garage after 2 failed attempts of installing it... I Used PB Blaster on the bolts that connect the midpipe to the manifold and they wont budge. Impact gun cannot break the bolts loose, any help?

• Sponsors (?)

Is there room for one of these scary names tools? The other options I have used involve either some to a lot of heat from a torch.

Liquid Wrench smells worse and works better for me on bolts, but a penetrating oil like PBladter is the right idea.. According to a machinist’s magazine test, the best penetrating fluid is 50/50 mix of transmission fluid and Acetone. I have this in a precision oiler (a craft bottle with a hypodermic tip) for things like this, stuck tuning slides, and plumbing fittings.

If it's in a tight spot, a trip to a "smoke shop" or the internet for a blowtorch lighter can do the trick. I keep one in my toolbox at work to heat up stuck fasteners and for heat shrink in places I don't want a heat gun.

ba4c96fd873a24e914f5cb0bdc67b14e1493212228-lg.jpg

As small as the flame is, it can take awhile to heat a bolt up, but it does work. There are bigger torches out there that are still pretty small, but these aren't much bigger than two D-cell batteries.

There are refillable butane torches at HFT and cooking stores that are a bit bigger but have a small, hot flame.
One of the blowtorch lighters should go in my portable repair kit.

If you can get a Long punch on the end after you put your penetrating oil on it several times and tap on the end of the bolt or studs whatever you have a lot of times I have had good luck "breaking them loose

Be sure to wear a face shield and a cup when using a HFT angle grinder and cut off disc. Safety glasses were not enough when the disc broke on mine. The broken edge pushed off, ripped the grinder out of my hands, and hit my chin like Mike Tyson. The lock nut was so jammed that the grinder broke before I could get it loosened so it went into the trash. It was a really effective tool until then.

I grind everything with my Harbor Freight grinder. Its amazing how many times that thing comes out to play. When it breaks just throw it away. Gotta love it.

Reactions: 1 user