Safety Loop

ebone84

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 8, 2004
I’m installing a driveshaft safety loop no instructions any tips they say 4 inches from the front of the driveshaft ... I don’t take my car to the dragstrip often..... just street tires but I still think it’s necessary....

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, it's necessary. You are only concerned with the forward joint on the driveshaft failing. If the back joint fails, the shaft just drops out on the ground. Nothing complicated about it. Ideally you want the car to be on a drive on lift, but jackstands at with the suspension compressed is close enough. The closer it is to the forward U-joint, the less damage that driveshaft is going to cause when it comes apart. Put driveshaft loop in place, and drill holes. Most of these just have bolts that go through the floor. I welded the bolts to the floor pan so that I wouldn't have to pull the carpet every time to put a wrench on it every time I pulled the loop out; which is literally every time you pull the transmission if it is installed correclty.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
The Mythbusters had a horrible time trying to get a driveshaft to pole vault a car with a driveshaft disconnected from the transmission. When they succeeded, the damage was significant.
Even if the driveshaft does not dig into the pavement, having the front end loose and flailing around about could be damaging and loud enough to soil the driver’s seat upholstery. So if you drive enthusiastically or have sticky tires, a safety loop is a good idea.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I had the front aWD driveshaft on my infiniti G35x fail at 80mph when the front u-joint let go. Fortunately, it was captured so it didn’t drop to the pavement, but it did a ton of damage and was loud as hell causing the car to be written off. Trans casing and front differential were damaged extensively.

it scared the living :poo: out of me when it let go

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user