scary noise from bottom end....

i kno for sure i didnt throw a rod, or make contact with the piston. the guy put one of those double threaded inserts in and screwed in the plug, works just fine and i dont notice any power loss. thanks for the concern though.

BobHyatt, how much advance are you talking about? i have the diablo tuner and i have been playing with the timing advance to see what difference it can make, and right now its +3 points on their scale. i dont kno how many degrees that is, cuz i noticed on the live feedback my timing is advanced upwards of 35 deg at idle, so i dont think 1 point = 1 deg :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

it sucks, i feel your friend's pain. its a bad situation to be in, but i guess it could have been a lot worse. total cost of the fix, including tow, trailer rental, and repair, was just over $400. considering a new head is upwards of $600 plus install...i guess i got off relatively cheap. thanks for the help guys.

i kno for sure i didnt throw a rod, or make contact with the piston. the guy put one of those double threaded inserts in and screwed in the plug, works just fine and i dont notice any power loss. thanks for the concern though.

BobHyatt, how much advance are you talking about? i have the diablo tuner and i have been playing with the timing advance to see what difference it can make, and right now its +3 points on their scale. i dont kno how many degrees that is, cuz i noticed on the live feedback my timing is advanced upwards of 35 deg at idle, so i dont think 1 point = 1 deg :shrug:

Depends on the fuel, the motor, the combustion chambers, etc. My son removed the EGR on his when we replaced four bent valves from a missed shift at the strip. Thing was pinging, but you could not hear it with the exhaust he has, and it was physically damaging the plugs. We went through about 5, breaking the center electrode loose completely before we figured it out. He chose to run 92-93 octane which solved it...

Depends on the fuel, the motor, the combustion chambers, etc. My son removed the EGR on his when we replaced four bent valves from a missed shift at the strip. Thing was pinging, but you could not hear it with the exhaust he has, and it was physically damaging the plugs. We went through about 5, breaking the center electrode loose completely before we figured it out. He chose to run 92-93 octane which solved it...

im running 87, stock 4.6, and i dont know the specs for the combustion chamber. i still have the egr and smog system installed. i have ran 89 and 91 but didnt notice any changes in performance, gas mileage or pinging/detonation. im in cali so i cant get anything above 91 easily at a pump. there is a 76 station that has 100, but they are charging over $7 a gallon now.... does this info help you at all?