scary noise from bottom end....

gotchopsticks

Sep 4, 2004
i have a 2002 gt with 60800 miles on it. my mods are posted in my sig. two months ago, about 1500 miles, i had my mid pipe swapped out to the factory one for smog reasons. about a month ago i started hearing a ticking noise and i didnt think much of it. i figured it was the beginning of an exhaust leak due to the recent work and i planned on swapping the pipes again. well its getting louder so i had it checked with a private muffler shop and the ford dealer and there is no leak, nor is it exhaust related. the noise follows RPMs and seems to be coming from under the rear of the motor/belhousing. it is progressively getting louder. i do regular service and dont drive hard very often, but still have factory clutch. all fluid levels are good. any ideas? thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

tech/shop foreman at the dealer used the stethoscope and was under it for upwards of 15 min and said it didnt sound like a rod or crank bearing, piston slap, or throwout bearing. it wis more of a 'tap' than a 'clank' or 'knock' noise, if that makes any sense. i kno what a rod bearing sounds like, i had a honda at one point with a bad rod:nonono: it first sounded like a tiny exhaust leak, but now the noise is just louder, and its the same volume on cold start to warmed up. good thought though, that was my first thought/fear....

Likely something valvetrain related if its a lighter tick.

Which doesn't really make sense because you said its at the bottom of the motor in the rear.

If it were the front i'd say it may be a timing chain/guide/tensioner issue.

tech/shop foreman at the dealer used the stethoscope and was under it for upwards of 15 min and said it didnt sound like a rod or crank bearing, piston slap, or throwout bearing. it wis more of a 'tap' than a 'clank' or 'knock' noise, if that makes any sense. i kno what a rod bearing sounds like...

A "ticking" noise that "follows RPMs", is getting progressively louder and is coming from "under the rear of the motor/belhousing" does sound scary, especially when the exhaust has been ruled out as a possible source even though the last work to be done to it was a mid-pipe. These motors have a history of spun rod bearings occuring under certain circumstances so it was the first thing that came to mind, especially since it's from the bottom of the engine, not the top.

I would take the advice of The Whistler and check the plug torque: a friend with a 99 MGT described his two blown plugs -- another thing these engines are famous for -- and being preceded by a ticking noise, most likely compression and combustion pressure leaking past a just-about-to-pop spark plug.

its not valve train, i cant hear any abnormal noice from the top of the motor or if i take the oil cap off and put my ear to it. if standing directly under it (its on a lift) i can tell from its location it cannot be the flange, plus i had two different sources search for a leak with a stethoscope.

on my way back from work today the noise stopped. i did nothing except lift the clutch peddle to adjust the clutch(dealer recommendation:shrug:) and i have started it cold a few times now and no noise....hope it stays this way. strange...

guess i spoke too soon.... drove another few miles to the store, started it again and blew the plug out of my head....AGAIN!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:
seems to be the same one as last time so i will be contacting the shop that "fixed" it in the morning....

troof. turns out it was the #3 plug, last time it was #1... so im having them re-seat all the plugs and make sure to torque them to spec. and i'll be takin it back in a few hundred miles to have them checked again.

maybe i should have them all welded in...:rolleyes:

bosch platinum, single ground electrode. the guy put in a single autolite when he replaced the first one that blew, so he will prob put another autolite in. should i have him swap them out to somethin else while he is in there?

i thought these were the later specs, i'll post a pic of the plug.

spark plug 1.JPG

spark plug 2.JPG

preignition will do a nice job of "smashing" the plug tip. No way the piston can contact the plug with the shroud that is cast into the head. But running lean or with excessive spark advance will do that up nicely, as will removing/blocking off the EGR.