Schematic and routing for Short Belts

Roland69

Sergeant Tangnet
Sep 17, 2005
Port Elgin, Ontario
BeltRouting.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for posting that! I've been looking for the belt routing schematic for some time now. I recently bought a 87' mustang and the previous owner deleted the smog pump and the A/C. If you saw how the belt is being ran now you would laugh. The belt runs on both sides of the tensioner. I don't know how he did it, but when I looked at it I knew something didn't look right. Now I have something to go off of. Thanks again.

mine is the bottom left with under drives on the crank and water .76in was mine and there is like 3/16ths between the tensioner and the water pump. i might try the bottom right. this week some time

think theres some pictures missing from this thread now, I have a 92 5.0 engine with the smog deleted and the ford racing ac delete bracket that relocates the PS pump to old AC position. think I was using a 73 inch belt, I have a new alternator with a 1.8 inch pulley on it now,should i use a 72.5 or 72 incher? wonder if they make em that size

You would use the RED belt routing in the very first pic (a couple down from original post)

As for belt lenght....FAR too many variations in what pulleys everyone is using. Stock, aftermarket, mixed and matched alternators, etc.

Best way to find a belt lenght is to get a peice of string, wrap it around the pullies in the appropriate pattern and measure it. I'd buy a few belt sizes and go from there. Settle on one on the "tight" side of the tensioner range as the belt will stretch slightly.

Reactions: 1 user
You can take an old belt that is longer, route it, Gorilla tape it over itself and go to the parts store. If they do not have the belt measuring tool (or give you a dumb look when you say you need one this size), go elsewhere or ask for the old guy behind the counter.