Sct 4-bank Tuner On Stock 1990 5.0 7-up Car

AndyW

May 8, 2013
I have made the following powertrain mods to my stock 1990 LX 5-speed 5.0:

SCT 4-Bank Eliminator Chip
65mm BBK Throttle Body + Matching EGR Spacer (confirmed the correct voltage for the TPS)
76mm BBK MAM(calibrated for the stock 19lb injectors)
BBK Cold Air Intake/CAI
Equal Length Shorty Headers
2.5" H-Pipe with no cats
MSD distributor and coil
9mm spark plug wires
New EGR Valve
New Idle Air Control Valve
Timing is set at 12 degrees
New BBK/Stock Equivalent Fuel Pump

Car/Engine has 102,000 miles on it and is in good shape

Here is my problem: The car runs strong and smooth with two following exceptions:

1. During the first 5+ minutes of idling from a cold start (50 degrees+/-), the car will be ilding around 950 rpm+/- and then make a very slight pop/suck sound from the CAI and the idle will jump about 500 rpm for about 1-2 seconds. It will do this pop/slight jump in idle for the first 5+ minutes and then not reappear once the car is warmed up.

2. During regular driving/moderate acceleration, out of no where, the car's rpm will unexpectely fall 500+ rpm or in other words stumble pretty good and then catch itself and continue to run fine. It has done this at about 30 mph up to 60 mph+/-.

I am going to remove the chip this week as it did not have the idle and stumble issues prior to having the chip. BUT, I also did not have those other modifications done to it. I am seeking opinions from others that have either made similar modifications and/or just installed the tuner chip and have similiar issues that I do right now. It is driving me nuts and I want to get this engine running perfect before I have my kids in the car to join me.

Thanks in advance for your input/opinions.

Andy

• Sponsors (?)