Second time to the track

• Sponsors (?)

Last Fall i was doing 2.8 60s, So your not that bad... :bang:

Alot has to do with track conditions...month or so back i was doing 1.9 60s, The track was real sticky.....You must be blowing the tires away thru 2nd??? What'd you come outta the hole at??? Any bog???
I'm heading to TT tommorrow for more seat time...Thats alot to do with it to, least for me...would be nice to get back to back runs, so you can work thru it..

This is your new combo, right?? How did it run o/all, any skips, hiccupps or the like???

RIO5.0 said:
Last Fall i was doing 2.8 60s, So your not that bad... :bang:

Alot has to do with track conditions...month or so back i was doing 1.9 60s, The track was real sticky.....You must be blowing the tires away thru 2nd??? What'd you come outta the hole at??? Any bog???
I'm heading to TT tommorrow for more seat time...Thats alot to do with it to, least for me...would be nice to get back to back runs, so you can work thru it..

This is your new combo, right?? How did it run o/all, any skips, hiccupps or the like???

The car ran pretty good... The driver needs lots of practice. Made 4 runs and hit the rev limiter on one and spun the tires in first on another. Only problem was after the first run there was an idle problem and stalled several times would hunt from 1500 and drop to about 500 and stall. That screwed me on the 2 middle runs a 15.8 and a 15.0.
After a while it would calm down then on the ride home it was great. :shrug:
In general Iam happy it is a fun car to drive. Torque, Torque, Torque.
Would like to break 100mph.

I hear you on the 100 thing...i gonna run to all my peak points from my dyno...i was way over the peak last time...Letting it all hang out can hurt it some...
I'm hoping for a nice sticky track like last time....car just stuck !!!!

Sounds like the ECC is still in the learning mode...when mine gets funky like that, I unplug it over nite....tends to help...We run the same cam and i have had some minor stuff...the unplugging seems to help...Never did have had the hanging idle thing yet....how many miles on the new motor???

Hi,
Not a new motor sorry if I implied that. Just new heads cam intake and stuff in sig.
It has been about 4 weeks or so. At about 1500 rpm when slowing down I get some bucking but that is the most bothersome item. A little unhappy working out problems at first RR adj. etc. but it has all worked out. My sons have been a great help oldest is ASE cert., younger manages a mustang shop. In a way I have it made. They just tell (suggest) there old man what he should do.

WhiteDevil said:
wow with 281rwhp u should be way over 100mph. More like 105-106, my friends 98 cobra just dynoed at 274rwhp and hits 103.30s, heck i just got 248rwhp and trap 101.70-102mph

Totally agree. Unless your spinning 'em thru 1st and 2nd you should be over 100 mph easy. My stock '90 runs 96 :shrug:

Where are you shifting at? Your 60's are not that bad, but you could do 1 or 2 tenths better.

In my expereice the worse my 60' is the higher my MPH is. (Usually caused because of quicker shifting into 2nd, i think)

I don't know if you care about reaction times but if you do Just remember to leave as soon as the last yellow light pops on. You never want to see green.

moneypit94 said:
Where are you shifting at? Your 60's are not that bad, but you could do 1 or 2 tenths better.

In my expereice the worse my 60' is the higher my MPH is. (Usually caused because of quicker shifting into 2nd, i think)

I don't know if you care about reaction times but if you do Just remember to leave as soon as the last yellow light pops on. You never want to see green.

Hi
Thanks the first post that really helps, I was waiting for the Green, silly me.. I was also trying to slip the clutch out of the hole a little, and tried launching at 1500 rpm and 1000 rpm, but now not sure what runs they were. :shrug:

Thanks

There's somthing funny with your hp and torque, do you have a dyno sheet on you that you could post? I'd like to see your torque curve. I don't see that your 60ft could be holding you back much, 2.2s isn't bad really.

Anyway, with your dyno sheet, I can find your best shift points at least. With you hitting the rev limiter, I initially want to say you were shifting WAY too high. But then again, you have pretty high HP for how much torque you have (for a 5.0), so your torque curve might peak pretty high. Stock 5.0 has ~275 ft-lbs. I find it kind of stange that you gained 80+rwhp over stock but only 25 ft-lbs of torque.

Zero Signal said:
There's somthing funny with your hp and torque, do you have a dyno sheet on you that you could post? I'd like to see your torque curve. I don't see that your 60ft could be holding you back much, 2.2s isn't bad really.

Anyway, with your dyno sheet, I can find your best shift points at least. With you hitting the rev limiter, I initially want to say you were shifting WAY too high. But then again, you have pretty high HP for how much torque you have (for a 5.0), so your torque curve might peak pretty high. Stock 5.0 has ~275 ft-lbs. I find it kind of stange that you gained 80+rwhp over stock but only 25 ft-lbs of torque.

Here is the dyno sheet:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=381490

I was trying to shift at 5500 rpm. Hit the rev limiter on one run (launched to hard and wheels spun) t/s not posted.

Thanks

Your torque curve does look alittle strange down low and it does peak pretty high. I would say you want to land your shifts on 4000rpm without actually calculating it. But that would mean you would have to shift 1st at 6700rpm. But I htink you might want to try bringing your first two shifts close to 6k, then 3rd to 4th at 5500. That should help keep you in your power band.

I'm not sure how much that will help though. Although you have more HP, your torque hasn't increased subtantially. It has just been shifted upward. I'm gonna shoot at guess that it might need some more tweaking with the tuner or a different cam. With the mods you've done, you should be putting out well over 300ft-lbs of torque.

Yeah that's a good possibility. I remember you mentioning awhile back that the heads flow like 300cfm? If that's the case, that will put your torque curve waay up the rpm range and it won't flow as efficiently with the lower velocity. Get a blower on there and it will help make up for it :) I think your combo with a good tune and basicly untouched heads and intake should make somewhere around 325+ ft-lbs of torque at about 3000 to 3500 rpm. Just my guess really. With a blower, I'm sure you could see 400ft-lbs with less than 10lbs of boost.

Zero Signal said:
Yeah that's a good possibility. I remember you mentioning awhile back that the heads flow like 300cfm? If that's the case, that will put your torque curve waay up the rpm range and it won't flow as efficiently with the lower velocity. Get a blower on there and it will help make up for it :) I think your combo with a good tune and basicly untouched heads and intake should make somewhere around 325+ ft-lbs of torque at about 3000 to 3500 rpm. Just my guess really. With a blower, I'm sure you could see 400ft-lbs with less than 10lbs of boost.

Someone mentioned you have a shift predictor program, can you point me toward that. :shrug: Any suggestion on a cam or would degreeing the cam help? :shrug: