Drivetrain Seized drive shaft bolts

Mu-TangClan

Jun 19, 2019
Quebec
In the process of dropping my T5 and removing the drive shaft bolts is proving extremely difficult. I've manage to remove 1 out of the 4 and the shaft is covered in old thread locker. For the remaining 3 I've tried all the combinations of Penetrant/Heat/Breaker bar/Impact I can think of and the bolt heads are simply rounding off. I've decided I'm going to drill them out completely as I don't see how a left-turner will help as I believe they are seized at the threads. Would my dewalt with some cobalt bits be up to this job or should I be looking at something better quality?

• Sponsors (?)

Best combo I've found for freeing stuck brake rotors or bolts...

Heat, followed up by pouring ice water on the bolts, then attempt to remove.

If that fails, die grind heads off and attempt to use vice grips on the bodies

Reactions: 1 user
I did this about 6 months ago.
Use heat from a torch & they will come out easy with an impact wrench.
No ones uses a torque wrench to put them back. They use an impact wrench instead.

If you have ruined the bolt heads, you are screwed. You will not be able to drill them out.

Reactions: 1 user
I did this about 6 months ago.
Use heat from a torch & they will come out easy with an impact wrench.
No ones uses a torque wrench to put them back. They use an impact wrench instead.

If you have ruined the bolt heads, you are screwed. You will not be able to drill them out.
I was able to drill one of them out, it was a nightmare as you said, I've cut the heads off the rest and was able to remove the rest of the bolts. I wasn't able to find a 12mm 12 point impact socket and had to try with a regular 12 point(which stripped immediately), even after torch-heating and cooling with a penetrant, impact, pry-bar you name it--they wouldn't budge.

In any case they're off now at the cost of the u-joint adapter (flange?) which I'll have to replace as it took some damage from the grinder.

I'm sure better technique would have helped me out on this one, but I'll cut my losses and move on. I'm just learning as I go here :D