Seized engine on 99'

BlueFin

Jun 2, 2020
New York
Hey everyone! I've been eyeing this 99' Mustang Convertible for a while now. At 500$ with 100k miles seems like a good bargain. The biggest issue seems to be that the engine is seized.

Im looking to learn how to work on cars and would love to learn on a 90s mustang.

I understand there are some simple things I can do to try to un-stick the motor. 1) remove all the plugs, 2) disconnect the the battery, 3) with a breaker bar, and socket on the crankshaft nut, rotate the engine clockwise. 4) add penetrating oil through the spark plug wells.

Whats the likelihood of this working and actually having a functioning engine. At this price point would it be worth to try and install a new engine?

My main question is where exactly is the crankshaft bolt on this engine. I cant really tell through YouTube or photos. If someone can point me in the right direction on where the bolt is and how to access it that would be really helpful
thumbnail.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Oh boy. I guess everyone has to start somewhere. Is this a V8 or V6 car. Manual or Auto? Yes, you can pull the plugs and put penetrating oil in the cylinders and let it soak to help free things up. If it was me I would be looking at the car as a shell and the motor as junk. A motor doesn't just seize up because you let the car sit for a few years. A seized motor usually happens as the result of something bad happening. Like running out of oil. Chances are the cylinder walls are messed up and the pistons are shot at a minimum.

As for the crank bolt. Its going to be the bolt holding the largest pulley on on the front of the motor. It will be at the bottom of the motor as in if you are standing in front of the car looking down it will be in the middle and the pulley closest to the ground. Should be pretty hard to miss. Here is a diagram of a V6.

1591114960257.png

And one for the V8.

1591115055667.png

Best or luck!

Ok so short story is I got the car for 400$ not talking about the crank issues.

Issue is now the tow truck driver that delivered it didnt have the key when he got here then i gave it to him so he could turn the wheel.

battery was disconnected when the key was put in and it wont come out. hooked up a battery to see if it would unlock the key it does not. I can cycle through all the stages. Theres no starter so i dont have to worry about that.

The theft light also blinks rapidly in the 2nd stage of the key. are these things related.

If anyone knows please help.

YouTube is your best friend. Start with one thing at a time and work towards a resolution on just that. Move one step forward and not 2 steps back trying to fix everything at once. If your truly looking to restore the car, come up with a budget on what you can spend on it, fix your key issue, then pull the motor.

OK good news. I figured out that to get the key out you need to push the lever on the right side of the wheel as you turn the hey towards you to release the key on manuals.

More good news after getting the key out I tried the 2nd key that was provided and boom it worked. OK great i spent 3 hrs getting a key out but now i know how it all works and have no theft light issues

NEXT this is where I have 2 questions.

1. After pulling the covers on the spark plugs 2 of them came out with the metal from the inside of the tube still stuck on top of the spark plug. any way to salvage this? Photos attached.

2. All the spark plugs are a pain to get to. How do i now get marvel mystery oil down into those spark plugs efficiently. Any suggestions?

You guys have been such a big help thank you.

Attachments

• IMG-8214.jpg
    IMG-8214.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG-8215.JPG
    IMG-8215.JPG
    461.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG-8213.JPG
    IMG-8213.JPG
    394.6 KB · Views: 184
Those coils can be pushed back up in the black spark plug housing. Happens all the time so no issues reusing them.

Thanks Onesick99GT I wil give that a shot once I get new plugs.

Now- I have 2 more questions. I couldnt figure out from google.

1. 80% Sure I should be turning the crank by hand clockwise. To the right basically. Correct?

2. I THINK I got the crankshaft nut moving a bit after using a breaker bar. now the spindle thing where the belt would go. If you imagine where the bolt is in the middle - that ring on the outside....
When I turn the crankshaft bolt I dont see anything else moving. Is this a problem? I figured turning the bolt would make it move so I might be completely mistaken.

Now I had wiggled it a little to the left - counter clockwise... When I did that it almost felt like the nut was getting very loose. Is that ok?

Im very sorry if these questions are dumb. Even google couldnt save me haha.

Thanks!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 150
Ok Fin, have you by chance checked the oil on the dip stick or drained the oil pan? What color is the oil? Black or milky or silver? Drain the oil into a reasonably clean pan and use a screw driver that holds magnetic bits and run it thru the oil. This will check for any metal shavings that may be in the oil. Now if the oil looks silvery then you know it is done and should look to the wreckers for a new 3.8l motor. I would do this before any parts buying to make sure it is worthy.