Self mounting tires?

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
I dont really think this is tech enough...

Anyone done this? Im having some shipped to me and would love to be able to mount them.

315/35/17 onto a 10.5" deep dish.

I know in the 4x4 world its not too difficult of a task but im thinking thats because the tires have alot more sidewall...

Am I asking for a PITA, or is it do able if you can get enough weight to pop the tire on?

• Sponsors (?)

Oh god, it would be so hard to do yourself. The guys at Belle tire took an hour to get the one on, before they figured out an easy way of doing it. It's gotta be done upside down, and even then it took a few tries on the machine to get it right. If you take this on yourself, then I wish you the best of luck with it. Don't scratch your new rims!

Oh boy, lol.

I would be trying it on carpet... hahaha.

The wheels arent brand new, got a good deal on them from a freind that switched to FR500's but they are still in great shape.

i have a buddy who does it...but the problem is you have to balance them...so how 'hell u plan on doin that ;)

Magic...:hail2:

I have a buddy that works at a tire place, id probaly just drive the wheels and tires down and have him do it.

Superhereaux said:
i'm going to go ahead and say it's impossible

might as well ask "can i do an engine swap with a philips head screwdriver and a box of fuses?"

I hear that McGyver fella can do it.

Dee Dee Dee.

youre gonna spend money on rims and tires, then skimp on the mount/balance?

IMO thats like buying a brand new turbo and not priming it before starting it, and then wondering why the turbo blew 1000 miles later.

Dee Dee Dee.

youre gonna spend money on rims and tires, then skimp on the mount/balance?

IMO thats like buying a brand new turbo and not priming it before starting it, and then wondering why the turbo blew 1000 miles later.

Its not that im trying to skimp out on it, but it would save me time (dont have alot of it) and the cost of getting that done will buy me a new set of lug nuts. Not skipping the balancing at all, I hate a rough ride.

Also like I said, I know in the 4x4 world (other vehicle is a Jeep) its been done quite commonly, and my drag radials were mounted this way (I didnt do it, buddy did). I just didnt know if the task would be more difficult with a tire like this with hardly any sidewall...:nice:

its kinda embarassing saying this here... but a few weeks ago on unique motorsports or w.e the show on speed is, one of the guys was mounting a tire on a 24" rim and it took him forever... i have mountaid quite a few tires and even with a machine the lower the profile.. the harder it gets.... even with a machine i heard u could also mess up the tire let alone without it... try to get ur friend to work out a deal for the balance and everything together... and saving time? by doing it urself? forget about it...

I used to work at Discount Tire, trust me, you do not want to try mounting your 315's (nor any other tire) yourself. We had enough troubles getting these low profile tires installed w/ the machine, let alone doing it by hand.

It took 25 minutes each to get my 295's mounted with a machine. He had to put 85 PSI of air in it to to get it to seat and had to do that 3 times. He said he could put more but it would be at a risk of blowing the tire. I chose not to do that :)

I want to see someone try to mount a super stiff non-flexing sidewall with a gorilla grip bead at home. I'd put tickets on sale, because it'll be a great comedy act. It takes high dollar equipment to mount those tires. I doubt WalMart can do it. They couldn't even mount my 245/45's on stock 17'' wheels. You'll have to go to Discount, Les Schwab, NTB, or whatever big chain there is. It is cheap enough to have someone else do it. Now, stop smoking the View attachment 396817 and you should be okay.