Serpentine Belt Jumps A Groove After Vortech Sci Kit Install

revcor

Jan 11, 2015
Bay Area, CA
Ever since I installed a Vortech SCi kit, the serpentine belt jumps forward one groove on the AC compressor pulley (towards the front of the car). Every time I take tension off the tensioner and reset the belt back into place, within a few days it will have jumped forward one groove again. I called Vortech and the guy said he'd only heard of that once and it was some bracket that was slightly bent that had to be diagnosed with a laser. Anyone ever experienced this or have any ideas on diagnosing the cause that doesnt involving taking everything apart and using a laser? The serpentine belt looks like it rides a little too far back on the tensioner pulley, based on the wear pattern on the pulley.
IMG_8021.JPG
IMG_8022.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Not that uncommon with s/c installs, not sure how your set-up is arranged but you may need to shim
a pulley and or bracket to get everything to line up correctly.
You're going to have to figure out which part is out of alignment, you could use a straight edge if you like.
Anytime you start attaching factory front dress to aftermarket brackets there's always potential for
misalignment, I once had a V1 installed on a used Vortech plate set-up and had to do some aligning
plate was bent.

Reactions: 1 user
the setup is arranged exactly how the instructions showed; I still have AC, power steering, smog pump. One thing I wasn't sure about is because the stock tensioner pulley is smooth and has no walls, if that being out of alignment would still pull the belt with it. Can you describe the process of using a straight edge to check all the other pulleys' alignment? I'm not sure how to do that.

Lay a straight edge (3' level, piece of angle iron etc.) across the face of the crank pulley and the faces of the p.s. pulley, smog, s/c. What your looking for is that all pulleys are even, no gaps or tilted straight edge.
The front of crank pulley should be flush with the front of the s/c pulley. All the accessory pullies should be flush with one another since they are driven off the same belt.
Looks to me from your photo that one of the accessory pullies is sitting back a little (toward firewall).
I would guess smog or alternator since iirc those are relocated by the standard Vortech passengers side mounting set-up. Hope it helps