shaft mounted rocker arms...WTH?!

hollywoodstang

May 23, 2006
What's up guys :)

I have questions for you guys, When does the shaft mount rockers come into play? like jesel and T&D? is it depending on cam lift size or motor size?

When do you actually need them? isn't this overkill on small block ford?

I am asking because my engine builder said he will be using shaft mount rockers on the new motor.

I dont know much about shaft rockers, I just know that are stupid expensive and looks awesome :/

• Sponsors (?)

When you start getting into the 7000 rpm range id say a shaft mount should come into strong consideration.

I used the T&D shaft mounts on my TW 7800 rpm 369 stroker
Mainly for valvetrain stability at the high rpm.

They are nice units if you have the money to spend and your gonna put the boots to it RPM wise. I looked at them for my build and was close to getting some...mostly cause I was looking to make a bullet proof valvetrain.. Then figured it was really a waste for just my street motor.

Your right though...they do look sweet...:D What is the budget on the motor ???

I think you need to call your motor builder back and tell him to get real with the budget. Shaft mount rockers are totally unnecessary on a sub 7000rpm engine. You can turn 8000 rpms with stud mounts and a girdle.

Kurt

I'll throw in with what they said :stupid:

For most street car apps ........

Regular ole roller rockers do a nice job :nice:

You know ... Cost Justification and all that kinda stuff :D

I do like stud mount over ped rr's myself ;)
and
I do run em on my AFR 's

Grady

I ended up getting the shaft rocker arms from him, It's jesel, It's new, He gave them to me for $400, He was doing me a favor because he had these shaft rockers just sitting at the shop from abandoned project from someone else, I couldn't pass them up, they retail for $1000 from summit. I know i am not gonna turn the engine to 7000rpm but wth.... you only live once.

I am building a new motor, Just need to decide if i wanna stay 306 or go 331, I am still back and forth.
I was supposed to do this year ago, so i am getting it done this time around, I got everything already, Just need to get pistons from JE since they are local, rods(scat i guess), cam from Isky who is also local, as soon as i decide. I am sticking with stock block and stock crank if i decide on 306.

Thinking about just doing 306 again and throw a small turbo on there and let the turbo do the work and call it done....

What you all think?