Sharing my recent GT issue

1987stangman

Jul 12, 2006
I thought I would share this issue as I have read some threads thu searches on this site that have lead some people down the wrong path by jumping to conclusions. Last week one my way home I got a "low oil" warning light. I thought it was odd since this engine burn no oil at all from oil change to oil change. My wife and I went out of town so I figured I would take care of it when we got back. I bought what I need for an oil change and happen to noticed that the coolant in the res tank was brown. When I opened the cap it had pressurized motor oil to the top. Drained the coolant and it was full of oil tho draining the oil there was NO coolant in it. My 'Stang came from the factory with a oil cooler and I knew it was not the oil adaptor to block adaptor gasket because I put a new one on when I did the full PI swap. After doing a leak down and compression tests (tho I knew the culprit) with good results I pulled the oil cooler off and found the issue. I ended up buying a used 02 GT oil filter adaptor for 25 bucks to eliminate the oil cooler and flushed the hell out the cooling system which solved my problem.

The only reason I am posting this is because through some searching on the forums I have seen some post from people trying to get help with their cars that have had oil entering the cooling system that others are quick to answer as a blown head gasket (but we all know this can be a HG symptom) or a cracked block instead of asking the OP for more information as we know that not all 96-98 GT's came with them and in 99' Ford dropped them I think due to these issues.

Not trying to just take up space on the forums, I just hope this helps someone less experianced to lead them in a less expensive repair.

Brian

• Sponsors (?)

Yup, mine was doing the same thing. Oil in coolant but no coolant in oil. I changed the gasket for the oil filter housing and it's all good now. Thanks for sharing the info to everyone.