Shelby/Eleanor Trunk Fiberglass

Mustangmaker67

Apr 16, 2004
Indiana
Has anyone out there have a source for Really decent trunk lids for Shelby/Eleanor convertible? I have tried ALL the major ones and some of the cheap ones. All so far have been murder to make work. I'm currently working on 2 verts and I have 2 different trunk lids from 2 different manafacturers neither is made correctly. Neither is long enough to cover the screws from the tail light panel. Neither is made to be low enough to allow for a trunk gasket & still line up when closed. I have tons of Pictures to show the problems. But I'm going to try to get the manafacturers to make it right with me before I Post all the pics & report who made and sold them. Several of the trunk lids I have already modified and installed and have sold the cars. because I was under a deadline. I can't imagine how much money & time I have wasted fitting these poorly made parts. We all know that Fiberglass is a pain to fit, but It shouldn't be this much problem. After all Chevy has been building Corvettes forever and they're parts fit right, right out of the box. A friend & I have been working with couple of different fiberglass companys to get our own molds made but the mold set up cost is unbelievable. Surely there is a Fiberglass company that cares about repeat business enough to build a quality part, & correct it when a customers shows the proof it's not made right. Right now all I get in response Is "Noone else has complained about it" " You must not have enough experience with fiberglass". Any input on this would help.

• Sponsors (?)

I think your problem is that the convertible deck lids are '68's (there were no '67 Shelby 'verts) and as such, that's simply the way they were, short in the back. Look at pics of '68 Shelbys and notice you can see the screws on the real ones as well. As far as quality 'glass, Rebel is supposed to make nice fitting stuff and seem to be nice guys to deal with, and I bought some of my 'glass (roof scoops) from Mustangs Unlimited and they fit better than anything else I bought. Branda poses as the seller of top-quality parts, but instead sells junk at inflated prices with jackass salespeople. I just got finished installing my high beams (center lights) using Branda brackets and they fit horribly and look like they were hacked out by a blind man with no regard at all towards quality. The intructions may as well have been written on toilet paper, because that's all they were good for since if you mount them according to their instructions, the lights end up being about 3/4" too low. Not that I'm bitter about it...

Mustangmaker67 said:
Has anyone out there have a source for Really decent trunk lids for Shelby/Eleanor convertible? I have tried ALL the major ones and some of the cheap ones. All so far have been murder to make work. I'm currently working on 2 verts and I have 2 different trunk lids from 2 different manafacturers neither is made correctly. Neither is long enough to cover the screws from the tail light panel. Neither is made to be low enough to allow for a trunk gasket & still line up when closed. I have tons of Pictures to show the problems. But I'm going to try to get the manafacturers to make it right with me before I Post all the pics & report who made and sold them. Several of the trunk lids I have already modified and installed and have sold the cars. because I was under a deadline. I can't imagine how much money & time I have wasted fitting these poorly made parts. We all know that Fiberglass is a pain to fit, but It shouldn't be this much problem. After all Chevy has been building Corvettes forever and they're parts fit right, right out of the box. A friend & I have been working with couple of different fiberglass companys to get our own molds made but the mold set up cost is unbelievable. Surely there is a Fiberglass company that cares about repeat business enough to build a quality part, & correct it when a customers shows the proof it's not made right. Right now all I get in response Is "Noone else has complained about it" " You must not have enough experience with fiberglass". Any input on this would help.

Sorry I don't have a source for the trunk lids, but an earlier post mentioned a guy up in Washington(?) called the Canadian(?) - (Brownlow Performance) was making good shelby hoods. Might be a thing to check up on.

I concur with EVERYTHING you said about the current fiberglass aftermarket parts for Mustangs (through personal experience and feedback from others). I will not buy another fiberglass product until I am positive it will fit correctly, with little modification.

Good luck with the trunk lid.:nice:

Sounds like most guys are having the same trouble I have. As for "Rebel" I tried to buy their fiberglass but everytime I called I got no answer. And when I finally got to talk to someone they didn't have any answers. Acted like it was a burden to talk to me. So I Ordered 2 kits from 2 other Name brand places that sold crap. One had 1/2 way decent front but trunk was junk. other had a useable trunk but nothing else. Overall, Mustang unlimited, I've had the best luck with. I've got a truck load of twisted, short, un square, flatened, cracked, busted, weak, rough, uncured, FIBERGLASS. ANyone want to buy some junk Fiberglass? It's got some of the Finest names in the business on it, Sold by some of the biggest names in the Mustang parts business. Or Better Yet, is there any Fiberglass makers out there that is willing to make molds to my standards? I don't have a problem paying big bucks for good glass that fits with a little work. If I pay for it,Though, It better be good or I won't be buying another set. Most fiberglass sellers are selling to one time buyers, and they don't really care if one or two pieces are junk they think that's the only time they'll ever sell them a kit. I would like to buy several kits, so far, none has been good enough for repeat business. Thank god, running boards, bed covers, sun visors, aren't made like these parts. no one would ever buy them.

I have purchased from Rebel Mustang before, but they seem to have disappeared. I ordered some wheel flares for a customer 2 weeks ago, they took my credit card # and said they would ship out the next day. Two weeks later, no flares (at least they didn't charge me) and they don't answer the phone. I have gotten no reply to email as well.

Looks like another one has gone tits up.