Fox Shifter bolts un seen

Kuwait-Foxbody

Apr 1, 2019
Kuwait
Hello guys

So i bought my GT a year ago and it got Hurst shifter

I tried the mgw shifter in my friend's cope and i did like it and thought to replace the Hurst with the mgw..

Bought one new and started removing the console and saw two rear shifter bolts no front :O_o:

Then i noticed the shifter going forward and front bolts were under the body! Even i cant put a thin wrench to remove the bolt ! It doesn't make sense to remove the transmission to replace the shifter

Any ideas why i can see that
Photos attached

Attachments

• IMG_20191005_193604.jpg
    IMG_20191005_193604.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20191005_193617.jpg
    IMG_20191005_193617.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Sponsors (?)

Drop the cross-member to gain some room.

If still not enough, disconnect the drive-shaft to gain even more room.

Even if you don't want to drop the transmission, you're still going to need to get it up on stands.

Reactions: 1 user
It looks to me like your car was an automatic, and someone converted it to a 5 speed. When you do this you are supposed to trim the front of the opening over the shifter, and in reality to do it right you should get the 5 speed "hump" and rivet or weld it in. I bet that shifter htting there is giving you some vibrations as well.

Chris

2019-10-05 18.19.09.jpg

I don't normally say cut something but come on. It's just metal. It can be put back with little effort if there comes a time for a rotisserie resto. Just trim it on the red line. Use a dremel with a thin disc and be neat. Put a sanding drum on and round the corners and make it look good.

Done!

• Agree
Drop the cross-member to gain some room.

If still not enough, disconnect the drive-shaft to gain even more room.

Even if you don't want to drop the transmission, you're still going to need to get it up on stands.

+1. Standard operating procedure when you have a TKO transmission. Unbolt the crossmember on the transmission, and lower the transmission. Takes 10 minutes. That will give you plenty of room to get in there with a uni-wiggle from the top. Replace those stupid Alan key bolts with regular hex bolts; grade 5 from Home Depot is just fine. That way you can get it with a wrench next time, and not need as much clearance. Put new shifter in with Ultra-black RTV.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
Your car used to be an automatic. That part needs to be trimmed.

Ideally, you’d buy this, trim out what’s hitting now and pop river or tack it in place. Then the shifter seal will fit properly.

B21FE6D3-231F-4A5D-B74A-6C8F95DD8080.jpeg

394811B0-EA4D-402A-9FC4-75C73D6ECF8C.jpeg

AODs don’t have a seal. The bolt pattern you see is to bolt the actual aod shifter assembly to the floor pan.

As you can see from the above pic, the t5 inner seal doesn’t have a corresponding mating surface on the AOD floor pan...hence riviting the extra metal on

The transmission hump is a real nice piece. Fits perfect , works well . If your in the middle of a project and buying other stuff the extra hundred is a little rough , I dont see another option. Id like to see his before picture on how it looked . Had to look a little home made.

I cut the hump out of a car in the junk yard. Drilled out the old spot welds and riveted it on with seam sealer in between.