Shifter Vibration in 3rd and 4th

Dr_EluSivE

Founding Member
Apr 24, 2002
Central Illinois
I seem to have picked up a nasty Vibration in 3rd gear and sometimes 4th as well. The Tranny still shifts smoothly and the clutch seems to be unaffected as well When Accelerating in 3rd and sometimes 4th the shifter will vibrate rather badly and chatter pretty loudly till i shift. 1st, 2nd, and 5th do not seem to have the problem. The vibrations arent really felt anywhere else in the car but the shifter. I am planning tomorrow to remove the tri-ax and make sure the stop bolts arent stopping too soon, and also making sure the shifter itself is tight. I also plan to check the driveshaft bolts if i can get under the car far enough (no jack here) Anyone have any other suggestions as to what might be causing this? I am hoping my tranny isnt dying but it all still shifts smooth so i dont really know. Gimme some ideas.

Dr.

• Sponsors (?)

Crovax said:
Check your motor mounts and tranny mount.
thanks cro ill do that, i just checked the tri-ax and the stops have enough clearance. I also checked the Driveshaft since it was the last thing i installed at it was nice and tight. Anyone have pictures of your Manual tranny crossmember installed? The crossmember i had from the donor car was all messed up and i ended up using the auto crossmember and welding a plate to hold the T5 tranny mount. I never have liked the way it looks (it seems to work though) and should probably get a double hump crossmember, might help with the vibrations. Do the manuals install in a different location then the manual member It been so long since i have looked at a factory 5 speed i cant remember. Im thinking there are 3 flanges under there.

Dr.