shifting problems

I recently bought an 03 cobra and ever since i got it i have had trouble shifting it. When i go to find a gear its like im running into a wall, it almost feels like the shifter it is hitting something. Another problem im having is that when i shift from first to second the car boggs way down even if i shift at 6000 rpm. Any help would be appriciated. Thank You

• Sponsors (?)

bryanstang said:
I recently bought an 03 cobra and ever since i got it i have had trouble shifting it. When i go to find a gear its like im running into a wall, it almost feels like the shifter it is hitting something. Another problem im having is that when i shift from first to second the car boggs way down even if i shift at 6000 rpm. Any help would be appriciated. Thank You
First off, welcome to Stangnet! Now on to your problems...

Do you know if the car has been modded at all? Are we talking about a bone stock Terminator here? How many miles? Does it have the stock shifter or an aftermarket piece? Does it have a firewall adjuster/quadrant installed or is it still using the stock setup? If your car is still using the stock clutch quadrant try this. With the car shut off put the transmission in 1st gear. Now reach down between your legs and grab the clutch pedal and pull it towards you. Did it make a clicking or racheting sound? The stock setup is supposed to be self-adjusting, but that's not always the case.

As for the bogging... this can be caused by the boost bypass and there's an easy fix for that, but until we know what mods your car currently has I don't think it would be wise to start throwing out suggestions. Please post again with a list of your cars current modifications and we'll see if we can't point you in the right direction!

U.M.

well as for the "wall" is it in the 2-3 upshift? if it is then i think its just you and the shifter missing the gear. i would go with an aftermarket unit to cure that issue. mor than likely your trying to push the handle too far over when you upshift and miss 3rd or even 5th.

2-3 shift can be a tuff one, especially with the stock shifter. Like was said earlier, people tend to push too much to the right. Place your palm on the shifter knob and push up with some pressure, but not too much, it should find 3'rd gear for you. An aftermarket shifter will do wonders for you. Has the tranni fluid been changed? That could make a big difference also. :D

I found the problem with my shifting, there was a TSB on

4-13-04
Transmission rattle noise or difficult to shift - tremec t56 6 speed manal

Some 2003 - 2004 mustang cobra vehicles equipped with a tremec t56 6 speed manual transmission, may exhibit a rattle noise or a difficult to shift condition. This may be due to a cracked or broken release bearing guide tube.

To service, install a revised transmission adapter cover plate. The revised adapter cover has the release bearing guide tube already installed.

That was te problem

Covered by warranty

Thanks for all the good comments!