Shock tower question.

1966ponyguy

Sep 3, 2004
Kentucky
I've heard a lot about the early mustang shock towers leaning inwards from usual road wear and tear. Several sites list checking them, and spreading them into proper position using a porta power. Can anyone tell me what the measurements should be to check by and just where to measure them?

I have thought of using a monte carlo bar to check, but I don't have one handy, and due to the 5.0 HO motor going into the car, the bar will probably be a custom polished aluminum to match the other parts. Thanks to everyone who has replyed.

Thanks again

• Sponsors (?)

usually what people do is install an export brace, and push the towers outward untill the brace bolts up. you can do a similar thing with a monte carlo bar too, just not as well as the export brace install.

Does the manual give a figure for the incidence angle of the shock towers? If it does, we could get the height measurement of the tower - say from the LCA mounting point to the upper shock mount - and the distance between the LCA mounting points. Armed with those measurements; just get the Closet Moderator-Engineer-Dawg to whip out his trusty pocket calc to do the math!

See, I knew we could make the boy work a little! :D

StangDreamin' said:
Okay, but (strictly playing devil's advocate here) how the the manufacturers know the length to make their MC bars? The proper distance tower-to-tower must be recorded somewhere. :shrug:

More than likely, they took measurments from an original MC bar.

I'm sure that, absent any available documentation, measuring an original MC bar is the only way to go (only reasonable way). It just runs afoul of SD's RTFM policy; and that just seems wrong in so many ways.

I can imagine the bean-counters' decision to dump all manufacturing data for the first two years; but it doesn't seem like something that engineers would do :shrug: