Fox Short block suggestions

90LXFOX

Mar 11, 2022
United States
I’m looking to buy a shortblock so I don’t have to have my car down for long . Any suggestions on a good shortblock . Trying to build around 400- 450 horsepower. Will be using tfs 11r 170 or 190 heads and holly systemax intake and have Ed Curtis build me a cam.

• Sponsors (?)

How many options are there these days for short blocks short of the high dollar blocks? Not many i imagine.

Even the suppy of good 302 cores is drying up. I almost feel like i need to snag an explorer engine and squirrel it away because I might not be able to get one in 10 years.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m actually debating selling my fox and buy a 15-17 coyote mustang . Drove one the other day and had no idea how strong those cars are and super comfortable!!
Just bought a 2021 GT last August and when i drive it and feel the power it has it makes the fox look pretty bad, and its comfortable. I think about all the time and money i put into my fox and it cant even keep up with a stock GT. :cry:

Just bought a 2021 GT last August and when i drive it and feel the power it has it makes the fox look pretty bad, and its comfortable. I think about all the time and money i put into my fox and it cant even keep up with a stock GT. :cry:

I took a brand new ecoboost Mustang for a ride the other day. I was there for another vehicle but it was “unavailable” so I wanted to kill time.

For 305 HP, it’s no slouch. It would definitely leave a stock or lightly modded Fox behind.

But those 2.3s sound like poop.

• Surprised
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users
I’d rock a blueprint short block for a budget piece. Their quality seems like it has gotten pretty good. Watch the video of their factory tour.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
When I first got my mustang project I expected to go to a ford dealer and purchase a new long block.... I was used to the Chevrolet " NEW " engine program from years back that was a deal..... Ford seems to have NOTHING like the Chevy program....

When I first got my mustang project I expected to go to a ford dealer and purchase a new long block.... I was used to the Chevrolet " NEW " engine program from years back that was a deal..... Ford seems to have NOTHING like the Chevy program....

The used to in the early 2000’s

Looking through my catalog, you could get everything from a “econo long block” from $2800 to $6000 high performance engines

I seem to remember new short blocks were around $1500

I’ve always found the reviews on Blueprint to be mixed. The factory five cobra replica guys love them. On here I’ve often found negative reviews. I have no experience with them, but they do seem to be one of the last remaining options short of buying an engine off Ed Curtis or one of the other big name shops around

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user