Short Power Loss w/ Compressed Air Sound from Rear of Car

BRX98GT

Nov 3, 2003
Raleigh, NC
About a week ago I noticed that while driving down the road and not necessarily under hard acceleration my car will randomly lose power for about half a second and I hear a sound coming from the rear that sounds almost like a quick burst of compressed air. This seems to be happening every minute or so.

Any ideas what could be going on? Could this be something in the driveline slipping?

• Sponsors (?)

Assuming that you do not have an air ride suspension, could it be a mild back fire? :shrug:

Tell us about any modifications or recent changes. Any check engine DTC's? Go to your local autoparts store and have the codes download. This is free.

The #1 reason for back fires is an ignition problem (excessive fuel in the exhaust). #2 is a timing problem.

So I could see a case if enough misfires occur, the excessive fuel will "light off" once it hits the cats. The loss of power is obviously from the misfire.

Recommend handling as a misfire. Clean the MAF just to be sure. Use only a cleaner designed for the job.

What is the condition of the spark plugs? Is this a 98 MY? If so, what is the condition of the spark plug wires and coil packs?

OBTW, If this is a back fire, continued use will ruin the cats.

Assuming that you do not have an air ride suspension, could it be a mild back fire? :shrug:

Tell us about any modifications or recent changes. Any check engine DTC's? Go to your local autoparts store and have the codes download. This is free.

The #1 reason for back fires is an ignition problem (excessive fuel in the exhaust). #2 is a timing problem.

So I could see a case if enough misfires occur, the excessive fuel will "light off" once it hits the cats. The loss of power is obviously from the misfire.

Recommend handling as a misfire. Clean the MAF just to be sure. Use only a cleaner designed for the job.

What is the condition of the spark plugs? Is this a 98 MY? If so, what is the condition of the spark plug wires and coil packs?

OBTW, If this is a back fire, continued use will ruin the cats.

Good suggestions, all I could really think of is a missfire with those symptoms... only other thought, and this is far fetched, is that maybe the traction control is kicking in for some odd reason... whatever is making that sound.