Should I build or swap?

FoxRod87

Feb 1, 2006
Carolina
My 96 gt needs an engine. Should I build this one or swap a used engine in with 60 to 70 thousand miles on it. I'm looking at maybe a PI engine from about 1250 to 1450 dollars. Would it be cheaper to build mine since I already have PI heads on it? What do you guys think would be cheaper?

• Sponsors (?)

You don't say anything about what is wrong with the current engine... that would greatly affect how much work it will take to rebuild and the cost.

But in general, buying a used engine will be much cheaper than building one yourself... plus you know it will work. The 4.6 is not an easy engine to rebuild.

You don't say anything about what is wrong with the current engine... that would greatly affect how much work it will take to rebuild and the cost.

But in general, buying a used engine will be much cheaper than building one yourself... plus you know it will work. The 4.6 is not an easy engine to rebuild.

they are not that bad at all to build.. id do another one tomorrow!!

i built my bottom end for about $1000 including, block, crank, rods, pistons, rings, clevite high rpm bearings, FRPP HV oil pump, a little machine work, and all the main bolts:nice:

there no harder to built then any other v8, just buy a hayens manual, and make sure to get all your oil clearences right:nice: