Should I buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jaydown

Jan 1, 2015
First and foremost, I know this is a very bad financial idea but I really want the Mustang GT.

I currently finance a 2014 BMW 428i (auto) which I bought in June 2014. I am paying $536.26~ monthly for 66 0r 72 months (I am not sure). I put $10,000 down payment and I have $32,400 left.

Now, I really want the 2015 Mustang GT so I went to the dealer and this was the deal after 4 hours of negotiating:

Two different GTs (both manual, same color)

GT Number 1 (In Phoenix, Arizona in their sister dealership; initially, charged me $700 for transfer fee but they waived it off):
Premium Package
3.55 Ratio Limited Slip Axle
20 Foundry Black Aluminum Wheels
Reverse Park Assist
Voice-Act Navigation System
MSRP: $39,700
After Negotiation and $500 rebate: 38,500

GT Number 2 (arriving this Saturday):
Performance Package (No Premium)
Recaro Cloth Seats
MSRP: $37,015
Did not negotiate but still came out to $36,515 after $500 rebate.

I highly preferred the Premium Package GT so I negotiated on that one only.

Price offered for my BMW after negotiation came out to $36,750 with tax credit.

With $500 cash down and BMW trade-in for 72 months finance, it came out to $569.56 monthly.

In conclusion, I have to pay $33.30 more monthly on the Mustang over the BMW. Is this all worth it? Should I go for further negotiations? However, the salesman told me that this is their final offer and I have until tomorrow to decide. Payments on the BMW isn't tough but I prefer it to be lower or around same as what I pay now.

Also, I have never driven a manual before but I test drove both manual and auto at the dealership.
I did not stall, had some trouble shifting, left clutch off early, let gas off early and had some jerky moments and had some smooth moments. Overall, I was more comfortable in the auto and had plenty of fun. In the manual, I had a lot of fun but it was a different experience because most of the time, I was so concerned of shifting. Is manual the way to go? My friend said that I would get used to it in a few weeks and it will be second nature and have more fun than the auto.

So, what should I do?

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

I've been driving manual for years. In fact I have a hard time driving auto's because I want to shift them and I get twitchy not being able to shift. I was in a similar situation from you I was leasing out a Turbo Veloster and only had it about 8 months when the 2015 came out, so I put down a big down payment from a loan and went up in payment to get the mustang. I would say get the manual, it's a blase to drive, this car is easy to drive, and if you love driving in general you will have more fun with it. From the clunk of the transmission when you drop the clutch to the feel of being pushed back in the seat when you slam the gears and mix the clutch with gas, there's nothing like it. And with getting a GT there's nothing like the sound of letting of the gas in a high gear and hearing the gurgle from the exhaust as you slow down.

Here is a vote or an Automatic GT, the premium package is worth the money in my opinion but I personally have a blast driving around in my auto GT. Street driving and racing on the road coarse have not left me disappointed with the auto and I highly doubt I would ever even consider buying another stick car.

Should I go for further negotiations? However, the salesman told me that this is their final offer and I have until tomorrow to decide.

In car sales there is no such thing as a "final offer". Price shop them against other dealerships or print off prices from the internet. You will be surprised what kind of deal you can get if you do some homework.

Don't make a $35,000 decision without knowing the details. Is your current loan 72 months, 66, or 60? That determines how much longer you have to pay on the BMW. Once you've got that, how much longer would a 72 month loan require you to pay on the Mustang? i.e. 72 for 72, you're only tying yourself up for another six months. 72 for 66 or 60, you're signing up for another 12-18 months of payments.

Based on your focus on monthly costs: is the Mustang going to drink more gas than your BMW? If so, not only would you be $33/mo more on the payment, but $x more on gas as well. How does insurance compare? Can you put more down now?

I'm right along with 84Ttop. I did have a 2013 Mustang GT Premium stick and loved it. And will miss the stick to some extent.

BUT when I test drove a 2015 GT Premium auto, I knew I'd be dumb not to get the auto.

Had my '13 not been totaled, I was planning on keeping it forever, but now I'm forced to go with a '15, and now I choose auto!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, and I think you can work a better deal too. My local dealer, small town one, is not the best place to buy from to get a good deal, but they did good with me on a special order one. My car came out to be 38,475 MSRP, and I talked them into letting me get it for 39 out the door. You take away nearly 2,200 in taxes alone, that puts the sale price around 36.8. I don't know exactly what other fees get thrown in there, but that could easily drop another 600-800 in dealer fees, battery, tires, tag, title, registration, etc. etc. I'd be aiming for around 37 sale price on that first one you mention.

i agree with echo,those numbers sound high.get some xplan pricing and use rebates with it.there really shouldn't be any negotiating.Get an online trade in price on your trade,that way you will know how close they are to that price.research research and research more

I just bought one--love it. I went 6-spd since its been a while since I've owned one. If I still lived at my old house, 2 hours of commuting a day, I would have went auto, but I'm 7 miles from work now so I went stick. I traded a '14 base that I bought for my wife. She didn't like driving it (she's short) so I got stuck with it. I decided that if I paid another year's worth of financing on it, it would basically depreciate at close to the same rate. Might as well get what I want, right? Your 4 series is a lot better of a car than what I was coming from, but the logic for the trade is about the same. Go with whatever you think would make you happier.

I think you will enjoy a Mustang, but neither of those offers are worthy of your time.

Before you deal with a sales person, you should do your homework. Check out KBB, Edmunds, and other sites for info on what these cars are selling for in your area with the options that you want. These sites will also estimate what your 428 is worth. Call your lending agency and get the exact payoff for your car so that you can calculate if you have any equity.

Research the vehicle you want and the combinations that are/are not available (no performance package w/auto, for instance). You will also need to visit the dealership and see what the color combos look like in person, because sometimes the computer does not convey the visceral appeal that certain combinations may have. You don't have to buy just because you visit the dealership. Check with Autotrader.com or other online resources to see what is available in your area.

Check out your local Credit Union or Bank, and see what their interest rates are. Check online resources to see if they have a better offer. Check online to get your credit rating.

Mock up a few purchase scenarios with the info you've gathered. Calculate the average price for the car you want, and subtract the equity you have in your car. I don't know about taxes where you live, but here in Georgia, you only pay tax on the difference in the price of the vehicles (Sale price of Mustang minus full trade in value of BMW). You may not owe any taxes at all. Use an online calculator to compute your payments at different interest rates so that you'll have an idea what your payments should be per amount borrowed.

Once you've got all this data, THEN you're ready to fight for a good price and financing. Be flexible within reason, but don't let them BS you. Resist add-ons such as rim insurance, pin stripes and Scotchguard. I think you'll find you can get your payments for your choice Mustang for less than what you are paying for your BMW.

If you can't find what you want, ordering one costs you nothing but time and the extra mileage on your trade-in.

Oh, and BTW...it's ok to drive an automatic if it's what you want. The new auto w/paddle shifters is fun...

Good luck!!!

Have you considered using TRUEcar? For my zip code, a premium GT with the performance package goes for as low as $38,835, which is estimated to be $2,580 below a MSRP of $41,415. The app reports that the factory invoice is $38,835 while the average paid is $39,877.

Good luck!

First and foremost, I know this is a very bad financial idea but I really want the Mustang GT.

I currently finance a 2014 BMW 428i (auto) which I bought in June 2014. I am paying $536.26~ monthly for 66 0r 72 months (I am not sure). I put $10,000 down payment and I have $32,400 left.

Now, I really want the 2015 Mustang GT so I went to the dealer and this was the deal after 4 hours of negotiating:

Two different GTs (both manual, same color)

GT Number 1 (In Phoenix, Arizona in their sister dealership; initially, charged me $700 for transfer fee but they waived it off):
Premium Package
3.55 Ratio Limited Slip Axle
20 Foundry Black Aluminum Wheels
Reverse Park Assist
Voice-Act Navigation System
MSRP: $39,700
After Negotiation and $500 rebate: 38,500

GT Number 2 (arriving this Saturday):
Performance Package (No Premium)
Recaro Cloth Seats
MSRP: $37,015
Did not negotiate but still came out to $36,515 after $500 rebate.

I highly preferred the Premium Package GT so I negotiated on that one only.

Price offered for my BMW after negotiation came out to $36,750 with tax credit.

With $500 cash down and BMW trade-in for 72 months finance, it came out to $569.56 monthly.

In conclusion, I have to pay $33.30 more monthly on the Mustang over the BMW. Is this all worth it? Should I go for further negotiations? However, the salesman told me that this is their final offer and I have until tomorrow to decide. Payments on the BMW isn't tough but I prefer it to be lower or around same as what I pay now.

Also, I have never driven a manual before but I test drove both manual and auto at the dealership.
I did not stall, had some trouble shifting, left clutch off early, let gas off early and had some jerky moments and had some smooth moments. Overall, I was more comfortable in the auto and had plenty of fun. In the manual, I had a lot of fun but it was a different experience because most of the time, I was so concerned of shifting. Is manual the way to go? My friend said that I would get used to it in a few weeks and it will be second nature and have more fun than the auto.

So, what should I do?

Thanks in advance!

My advice? Enjoy your BMW for another year or even 2. Get your payoff down as well so would not have to bury any equity. While doing so you will get into a 2017 Stang, any kinks in redisign will be addressed by then. You will also get a better deal with most likely more in rebates. That is my advice. I wish you luck in whichever way you choose

Neither of those offers are a particularly good deal. GT1 has an invoice price of $36610, you should easily get it close to that price then subtract the rebate.

First off, on new car try to get 10% off of MSRP, NEVER purchase based upon what the payment is going to be... Call around to all the dealerships and tell them you're seriously going to buy. They'll try to get you to come to the store, but refuse... Call at least 15 dealerships... Make no bones in telling them that you are calling other places too, when You call, give them the price you're looking for. Check "True Car dot com" to see what others are paying (Edmunds, KBB etc..). It's how I buy all my cars.. I don't go running around, don't have time.

Secondly, I'm not Suze Orman, but 72 months??? I don't know your financial situation, but buying a car based on monthly payments cause you "want one" may not be a good idea. Also you'll probably need to secure the "gap", financing may require gap insurance which is going to add to your payments. If that's the case I'd go with the more expensive options because over that amount of time, it's not going to make much difference to your payments... And if the car gets totaled, the Gap Insurance will cover some of the difference, but not all. You should take that into consideration. Nothing like continuing to pay for a car you no longer can drive.

My mustang is an 05 that had 45K on it when I got it. I got it from a 65 year old retire (whom I know) who had it for 8 years but finally wanted a Ruby Red 2014 GT Premium.... Bottom line, the old ones are nice too and you could probably find a very sweet 05-09 Premium between 12K & 18K. And you'll have $$$ in your budget to do lots of fun mods!!! Just sayin! :)

I drove BMW's for the last 15 years. When looking to get a new car I went and test drove the 2015 GT and I was sold. It is a visceral and involving car. It is gorgeous. It sounds great. It handles as well or better than either BMW I owned ('97 328is sport/manual and 2002 540i sport/auto). It has shedloads of acceleration on demand. It is a LOT of car for the money. It seems well built. It is first and foremost a drivers car. In my opinion, Ford really stepped up their game with this new car. I chose to buy the GT premium sport package and of course got the stick because auto and sport package is not an option. Options on my car: GT performance package, 401a package, Navigation, reverse parking assist and enhanced security. MSRP was $42,700 and I got it for $39,500. I am very happy with it so far. No buyers remorse in the least.

Should you switch from the BMW? If you love a great driving and fun car and can afford to make the switch without hurting yourself, I would say, hell yes!

Oh and by the way, the Mustang actually has an engine oil dipstick.