Should I put a cam in my 94 Cobra?

InMyPrimeSVT

Founding Member
Jul 31, 2001
Cincinnati
Hey all, I was wondering if I would get some benefit out of putting a new camshaft into my 1994 Cobra. When I put it in, I'll have mostly bolt ons, with mods listed in my sig, as well as a Tmoss ported lower Cobra intake. I will be using the stock heads at least for another 2 or 3 years. I have a full MAC exhaust including headers and H pipe.

Which cam do you think would be of benefit???

• Sponsors (?)

I'm using the Trickflow stage 1 but, it feels the same way as you said the #19 is below about 3000. (running with TFS street heat intake and gt40 y303 aluminum heads) Overall I love the cam though.
tmoss said:
I've seen the The Steeda #19 reported as being pretty soft below ~3,000 rpm but it carries pretty good above that.

2031!! didnt cause my ECU to go crazy at all, idle is solid even down at 650 (car shakes a bit tho so i have it bumped to 800) i love the sound of my car now with that cam :nice:

price wise... you would have to call around and see what shops will charge

personally i would try and find someone locally that has done it b4 that can give you a hand so you can save some money, their not that difficult to do

InMyPrimeSVT said:
Anyone on the cost?

As well, does a TFS Stage one give a nice lope or not so much?
yes the tfs1 gives a nice idle. with your cobra rockers you will deff need to upgrade springs as 1.7 rr's gives about .542 lift on the exhaust and .530 on the intake.

i like mine, idles good--big power above 3k.

dunno on the cost, i'd say way too much for the minimal gains you will get from a cam.

bimmertech said:
yes the tfs1 gives a nice idle. with your cobra rockers you will deff need to upgrade springs as 1.7 rr's gives about .542 lift on the exhaust and .530 on the intake.

i like mine, idles good--big power above 3k.

dunno on the cost, i'd say way too much for the minimal gains you will get from a cam.

Yeah, definately not worth it unless you are doing it yourself money wise. It's pretty simple really.

I wouldn't do it. Not worth the expense on a stock motor (even a cobra). Save your money and do it when you do the heads.
Do something else like gears.
Maybe put some new valvesprings on to freshen it up a bit...

Been watching your thread!

It reminds me of the same thing me and my gearhead buds have talked about over and over.

When you decide to build a combo
you pick a power level
then pick a set of heads as a reference for rest of the combo

If we are talking about a stock short block NA combo here
I see three basic levels based on head choice

1) E7s
2) Ford oem gt40, gt40P, older 351 stuff, etc
3) Edel, TFS, AFR, etc

Lets say you got things matched really well to all three examples.

When you compare the performance between all three

The outcome is not that great between 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 :bang:

Again we are talking about NA here and the only way to see a very big difference between the above is to compare combo 1 & combo 3.

Unless your budget is of no concern :D

When you only build from one step to the next, the gain for the buck spent is something you want to focus on cause it kinda makes you feel sickly :rlaugh:

Having said all that, you can't disregard a power adder as an option to up the gain.

Then again ...... you just don't slap a power adder on without having to deal with issues it can bring just as a max power effort h/c/i combo can bring issues as well.

To answer InMyPrimeSVT's question ........................

A cam could make a difference, but not a huge one

A complete upgrade to the next level will make a difference as well .............
but not a huge one :bang:

See where I'm going here :D

Maybe a low level of boost or tiny shot of giggle gas :shrug:

Decisions ...... :shrug: Decisions ...... :shrug: Decisions ...... :shrug:

Grady