Should i run NO2? good deal on it....

bloopbloob

Sep 27, 2006
Alberta
i've always been weary of running no2 on my fairly stock motor.... and to be honest, i don't know all that much about it. i've never been all that interested in the spray. i found a full zex kit (75-150 jets) with 3/4 full bottle, that has been bolted on but then never used for $450 obo locally (i'm in alberta, so that seems pretty cheap to me). my main reasons for not doing it is having to keep paying to fill up bottles , and i don't want to wreck anything in my engine although i know it's not as much of an issue nowadays than it used to be. is this a deal i should jump at, and why or why not? what can i expect to pay to fill a bottle, and how long do they last? i just don't know much about this so i'm looking for all the input i can get...

• Sponsors (?)

I would definately offer less. Check to see if it has accessories with it like a purge valve, gauge, bottle heater, ect. It is around $46.00 to fill a 10 lbs tank around here. Its definately fun! A 100 shot is great on a stocker with bolt ons imo. As long as its all in good working order that is.

I run a Zex kit...easy install for sure. Really all that's required for the 75-100 shot is to dial the timing back (10 degrees would be ideal IMO for a stock HCI car) and enjoy. Your only concearn is no hitting the bottle untill your over 2500 rpm and avoiding first gear. First gear only because you're going to loose traction and over rev is very likely. A 'window switch' with a gear select lockout would be ideal...and you will LOVE the punch. Soon you'll be making "can I run more NO2" threads I gaurantee.

so how long does a bottle last? i did some research and i guess it's about $80 to fill a 10lb bottle here.

i emailed the guy, he thinks its PN #82015 so this is what it should be (75-125 dry kit)...
cca-82015.jpg

and it lists at summit for $536. i'd imagine i could add another $100+ onto that to have it at my door when all is said and done.....
guy says he had it installed, never ran it, then had issues with the rebuild on the motor he was going to run it with, and ended up going a different route. comes with a 3/4 full bottle (because he gassed his sleeping buddies one night apparently:shrug: ) would $400 be a good deal?

so i'm sure it's a terrible idea to run with the valve open all the time right? i'm guessing i'd have to stop and crack it if i wanted to run the juice? what about the laws with this? is it street legal? what about at the track? any special added safety stuff i'd have to worry about? i've never been, but i will be to the track this summer.
what all else would i need (or would be highly recommended) on top of what's pictured? i'm thinking stuff like purge, bottle warmer, etc. . What would i need to keep it from kicking in in 1st gear (which is already fairly useless) and at a set rpm like suggested above?
thanks again!

Attachments

• cca-82015.jpg
    cca-82015.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 71
Save your $400 and put it towards power you can play with all the time.
If it truely costs $80 by you. Refills will quickly add up.
I had a 75 kit way back, sounds like a great idea, but it's really no fun.
Why not take the $400 and buy and intake? According to your sig, you don't have one and maybe a cam to go with it.

Why not take the $400 and buy and intake? According to your sig, you don't have one and maybe a cam to go with it.

i totally agree....
that's what i've been wanting to do, and why i never had much interest in NO2.
BUT i found an ad for this kit for $450obo. and then i got to thinking... my car is now sitting in an apt parking lot, which would make doing hci stuff very difficult or impossible for a good period of time... but that is what i've been saving up for next.
on the other hand, i could install this kit in my parking stall fairly quickly, keep the car streetable and good on gas until i want to crack the bottle.... but i know the refills will quickly add up and it will cost more in the long run. this is why i'm not sure what to do here.....

i totally agree....
that's what i've been wanting to do, and why i never had much interest in NO2.
BUT i found an ad for this kit for $450obo. and then i got to thinking... my car is now sitting in an apt parking lot, which would make doing hci stuff very difficult or impossible for a good period of time... but that is what i've been saving up for next.
on the other hand, i could install this kit in my parking stall fairly quickly, keep the car streetable and good on gas until i want to crack the bottle.... but i know the refills will quickly add up and it will cost more in the long run. this is why i'm not sure what to do here.....

There is also the stigma of being branded a "cheater" for having nitrous.
Everyone you beat and their mother will be saying "ya but he had nitrous".
Theoretically you can take any POS and slap 100 shot on it and do decent, but still it's a quick fix for a long term problem.
I'm somebody that has spent more money on different crap than i care to admit, stick with your original plan of the intake and cam.

I mean realistically your only looking at maybe 50 hp with the cam and intake, and thats only if the heads are heavily worked over since they are stock. I to get that 50 your gonna need a really good tune. IMHO i wouldnt bother with a cam and intake tilll you got some better heads. but thats just me

because for 400 dollars he would be luck y to get a cam and intake for that price. let alone the down time to install, then gettin a gasket kit, then all the "since im already in here i might as well replace parts" add up quickly.

And and intake and cam will not give him an extra 100 hp to play with. The window switch is like 80 bucks so for under 500 bucks he can have power to use when he wants it with no down time. Oh and with the price of gas its nice to be able to only have the hp when you want it.

There is also the stigma of being branded a "cheater" for having nitrous.
Everyone you beat and their mother will be saying "ya but he had nitrous".
Theoretically you can take any POS and slap 100 shot on it and do decent, but still it's a quick fix for a long term problem.
I'm somebody that has spent more money on different crap than i care to admit, stick with your original plan of the intake and cam.

Cheater car....? Seriously this ain't a movie, you're talkin FUN FACTOR. After tune my little 306 on motor makes around 320/345...damn good HCI numbers for sure, however IMO the 100 shot on a bolt on car was more fun light to light...just hits harder.

you guys really aren't making this much easier to decide!!!!!! there's a lot of good points i agree with on both sides.........:bang:

a big deal for me though - is it legal???
and another is can i have it ready to go all the time if i want to hit WOT or is that really unsafe? i don't want to be wanting to run someone and be like, "hang on, i just have to stop, open up the hatch and crack open my bottle!":notnice:

you guys really aren't making this much easier to decide!!!!!! there's a lot of good points i agree with on both sides.........:bang:

a big deal for me though - is it legal???
and another is can i have it ready to go all the time if i want to hit WOT or is that really unsafe? i don't want to be wanting to run someone and be like, "hang on, i just have to stop, open up the hatch and crack open my bottle!":notnice:

No you shouldnt run it open all the time. but this why they make remote bottle openers. flick of a switch cracks open the bottle and your set.

or you can mount the bottle behind the passenger seat or elsewhere that is in arms reach.

or custom built into passenger seat ass cushion fast and the furious style. lol

I am currently running the same kit you are looking at buying. I LOVE it! No regrets here. Fillups are only about $38-$40 here...are you sure that its $80 to fill up where you are? You can get about 8-10 good 1/4 mile passes out of a bottle with the 100 shot. You really should look into a remote bottle opener though. I had an encounter with a supra where i wished i had one!

Cheater car....? Seriously this ain't a movie, you're talkin FUN FACTOR. After tune my little 306 on motor makes around 320/345...damn good HCI numbers for sure, however IMO the 100 shot on a bolt on car was more fun light to light...just hits harder.

As i said earlier, i had a 75 kit, that was jetted to 100, i'd take a h/c/i car over that any day of the week, i'd rather have 45 rwhp without nitrous than 75rwhp with it.
That 45 can be played with any time you want, and it won't cost you dime after intial investment.
If it's fun to goto light to light using the juice now and then because you have to preserve it, imagine how much better it is to do it at will with NA power.

Some states you can carry it with a permit from the health department, that's what i had to do in NJ, but you can never have the bottle open on a public road, or you are in trouble.

Do not forget either that nitrous add ons cost adds up too.
Gauge, purge, bottle warmer, remote open and window switch is another $500 worth of stuff.

BTW, i have no objections to using nitrous on a car that already has h/c/i, because the next step is huge, either turbo or SC.
I just feel on a car lacking h/c/i that the money is being spent wrong.