Should i upgrade my chargin system?

Ok, i have a 90 gt with the stock charging system. I am going to be gettin a rockford 1001bd puttin out 1000 watts rms at 2 ohms. It pulls 100amps. I've got an mtx 801d right now and it dims the headlights but not incredibly bad. Do i need to upgrade?

• Sponsors (?)

I have 1000 wrms, and my headlights dim kinda bad when I play 50 cent or any techno. I am going to be getting a optima yellow top battery for my car as soon as I can afford it. I am not going to upgrade my altenator. But I have heard that optima's yellow top can solve that problem.

Upgrade your underhood wiring first- aka- the Big Three. Alternator to battery, battery to ground, engine to ground, and I always upgrade my battery to starter/distribution box also. Run at LEAST 4ag wire for these and it could help (definitely won't hurt).

BTW, I run 2 Memphis 1000d's (equivilent of a Mojo- 2400 watts RMS), a Memphis 3004 (75 x 4 RMS), and a Kicker Kx800.4 ( bridged- 485x2) all off my stock charging system and have NO dimming or charging problems. I have an '02 with a factory 130 amp alt, though, so yours may not have the charging system of the newer ones.

no my cars stock alternator is only um maybe 80amp? correct me if i'm wrong but i know its not as good as the newer 130amps. so i may first try a optima battery, then if that doesnt help i'll upgrade to probably same alternator as you infinity02zinc. But thanks for the info. btw should i go with 2 gauge wire since my current power wires to my amp alone are 4gauge?

yes upgrade the charging system cuz even for the stock setup, the charging system sux fat balls............eventualy the alternetor will die cuz its running at almost 100% all the time......for for at least the 130 amp set up

Forgot about the 60/80 amp ones on the older cars. Yes, an upgrade probably won't hurt a thing. 4ag wire under the hood would probably be sufficient (short lengths), but go ahead and use 2 or even 1/0 if the price is right. Also, remember that those large wires are hard to crimp ends onto them without special "impact" tools.