sideloading the valves, stock rockers

dastang2

Dec 11, 2003
tx
hey, lets get to the point. with no shim the valve is open. with a .060 shim i have a 1/4 marking off to the side of the top of the valve closer to the exhaust ports but with a .030 shim all of my marking paint was wiped off. i thought that it was supposed to be a narrow marking in the center of the valve stem. i got thumper heads and i can't figure out if i need different pushrods. i thought shims were supposed to fix any small changes that a head and f cam swap would cause. basically i just want to know if the markings are supposed to be narrow or if the paint was supposed to be wiped totally off the stem or is that just with roller tips. i will have my pushrod checker within a week

• Sponsors (?)

ok well u want the rocker tip to be in the center of the valve stem. if its closer to the exhaust side the push rod is to long if its closer to the intake side of the valve stem its to short.i i personaly take a black sharpe or somthingof that effect and color the whole valve stem. to c where it is touching and slowly rotate the engine 2 or 3 times and then check again.

do you know why it wiped it all off with the .030 shim. the rocker and pushrod was tight then but not enough to open the valve. thanks for that info because that means i may have not wasted money on the checking springs and pushrod checker. my guess is that i would need a shim between .030 and .060. i will just measure it without shims and get the correct pushrods occordingly to my results and then adjust if needed with shims. this is how it goes isn't it.