Silky smooth MT82 shifting

wrathchild

Founding Member
Apr 5, 2000
Altoona, Pa
Now before anyone flames me, I know what Royal Purple Synchromax was designed for.

I changed the fluid out for Synchromax. WOW. It shifts so nice. Super easy to get into any gear at any speed.

I only have put about 20 miles or so on it. If anything starts to sound or feel funny, I will put some royal purple gear oil in instead.

Just FYI if anyone was interested.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes. Takes 2.7 quarts (if i remember correctly). Was a pain in the rear filling it compared to a T5. The T5 was easy just remove shifter and pour. This one has a fill hole on the side.

The next time I fill it I will run a tube from the inside of the car down past the shifter into the fill hole. I used a siphon pump this time and it was messy.

Sparta,

Yes. It was hard to shift when cold. Sometimes, at rest, I could not get it to go into 1st. Downshifting to 2nd was hard to do as well. Once the trans was warm it shifted good. Now it shifts the same warm or cold.

MT-82

I waited until 1,000 miles on the car before putting Royal Purple synthetic in the transmission. There is a service bulletin related to cold shifting. Also, I installed a Barton shifter in the car even before it left the dealer. I think the next step is a trans cooler which will add additional fluid and keep temps in check.

I waited until 1,000 miles on the car before putting Royal Purple synthetic in the transmission. There is a service bulletin related to cold shifting. Also, I installed a Barton shifter in the car even before it left the dealer. I think the next step is a trans cooler which will add additional fluid and keep temps in check.

Did you use the synchromax or max gear?