Single Exhaust and Horsepower Guess

Cmo

Jan 29, 2007
Hello, I am new here. I have a 1994 5.0L engine which will be used for a swap w/ t-5. The engine is stock except:

Holley 600CFM DP w/ Mech secondaries - tuned for power, not emissions
No catalysts
Dual 2.5" -> Single 3"
Block hugger headers 1-5/8 pipes
No AC, PS, Tensioner, or Smog pump - only alt and water
Cold air snorkled from cowl or infront of radiator
Edlebrock dual plane intake manifold

I am just wondering about how much power/tq I can expect at the crank or wheels.

Second question... Does anyone have recommendations for the muffler. The system is Dual 2.5" to Single 3" using a Y-pipe or something similar after the tranny. I was looking at hooker aerochambers but it is really difficult to tell how loud the mufflers are amongst other things. Does anyone have experience with single exhaust 5.0's? Does anyone have a recommendation on a low to no resonance muffler? I like the sound rather quite aswell, until I mash on it of course. Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

what kind of vehicle is this motor going into? surely i hope not a mustang if you intend on doing single exhaust...if its a mustang there is no sense in figuring out an exhaust setup, there are countless systems available through the aftermarket

Datsun 240z. Is the dynomax loud or quite? Which muffler model is it? I heard the Borlas are way loud. Is that true? Does the dynomax resonate or is it that kind of raw raspy sound?

I love the way the 5.0 sounds w/ straight pipes, I wish I could just turn the volume down on that.

On a stang? Hows it sound/Perform?

In the early 60's the 421 SD Catalina's came with an unheard of option of "single exhaust"!! More torque! Pontiac was ahead of its time back then!

Yes its on a stang, its turbocharged so it will probably be a little quieter than yours is, its still not all that loud. Its an Ultra Flo, I like them as quiet as can be, I would look to see if you could find a 3" Borla Pro-XS, they are nice and quiet and will sound great.