Six speed swap for a 5 speed?

I'd love to have a 6 speed myself. If I ever go for an aftermarket block, I'll have to do it anyway. I know if I had a .50 final gear, I'd get much better gas mileage, which would make me drive the car more often. That alone is worth it.

Kurt

• Sponsors (?)

Anyone know if the 6 speed out of the 2011 GT will work? I know there is a cheaper way to do this than 4 grand. Even if I do have to wait until some shop or someone somewhere will give me a tranny itself for dirt cheap or free. 1 more gear just isn't worth nearly 4 thousand bucks, any way you cut it.

Anyone know if the 6 speed out of the 2011 GT will work? I know there is a cheaper way to do this than 4 grand. Even if I do have to wait until some shop or someone somewhere will give me a tranny itself for dirt cheap or free. 1 more gear just isn't worth nearly 4 thousand bucks, any way you cut it.

No it won't work. The shifter is in the wrong location. Also, it's a Chinese piece of junk, so it's not even worth it. It's basically a 5 speed anyway, because it's not double overdrive.

Kurt

I'd love to have a 6 speed myself. If I ever go for an aftermarket block, I'll have to do it anyway. I know if I had a .50 final gear, I'd get much better gas mileage, which would make me drive the car more often. That alone is worth it.

Kurt

I have the same .59 O/D in my Geforce t-5 as the 6speeds do in the cobra. I also have the same 2.95 first gear. If you get a built t-5 then it's just like skipping 5th on a 6th speed.

I have the same .59 O/D in my Geforce t-5 as the 6speeds do in the cobra. I also have the same 2.95 first gear. If you get a built t-5 then it's just like skipping 5th on a 6th speed.

At this point, it's been so long since my car had a T-5, it would probably cost me as much to go back to that as to just get the T-56.

Kurt

I didn't get a t56 for the extra gear. I got it because its a strong nice shifting tranny and there are only so many options for our cars. if there was a good 5 speed option that shifted nice and held the power I want it to hold on the market and it was cheaper than a t56 I would have bought one.

Totally agree with you there. There are some great modifications you can do to a T-5 to get it to shift better, but eventually you are going to run into strength limitations because of the gear size. Unless you are willing to deal with straight cut gears, which are really annoying. You can build a T-56 to handle almost anything.

Kurt

That isn't really the trans I'm looking for. The one I want has a .50 6th gear. That's an excellent overdrive gear for cruising the highway.