Sky's the limit on this Coyote Swap

I almost think it's going to get to be like a particular engine may be a "popular" swap for 2 or 3 years before something else comes along. Almost like a fad.

I know what you are getting at, so ill say it... I'd still rather have an LS swap. I like pushrod motors and big displacement. So a 302 with 4 cams that i dont want to work on does nothing for me

• Sponsors (?)

Ehhhh, I'm still skeptical. By the time these are plentiful and cheap in the junk yards, they'll be obsolete and Ford will have a better engine in production. Gone are the days of mass producing the same base engine design for 30 years (like the 302) and I think it will forever change the way we see engine swaps. I almost think it's going to get to be like a particular engine may be a "popular" swap for 2 or 3 years before something else comes along. Almost like a fad.

Yeah we'll never see another Ford engine built in the numbers that the 302 was built in, but if they sell a few million of these engines, then there's at least a few million engines waiting for swaps :nice:

As for the GT500 engine fitting under the hood, not a chance in hell. Remember the project car MM&FF did, "Frightning"? It had a Lightning 5.4 with the Eaton blower...i'm sure the GT500 blower is probably a little more low profile, but still Frightning had something like a 4 inch cowl hood and still needed a big hole cut out to let the blower peek through.

I know what you are getting at, so ill say it... I'd still rather have an LS swap. I like pushrod motors and big displacement. So a 302 with 4 cams that i dont want to work on does nothing for me

Haha, I actually wasn't even thinking about the LS, but you raise a good point. I think the LS will be the last great engine swap engine. It's hard to argue with the LS. Simplicity of a SBF, compact like a SBF, parts are as cheap or even cheaper than a SBF (depending on what you want to do with it), and you have the option to do a lightweight aluminum block or a tough as nails iron block cheap and right from the factory.

I still bleed Ford blue, but I can understand the appeal of the LS.

On a similar note, I wonder if Mustang guys will be swapping engines in S197s 20 years from now...

Haha, I actually wasn't even thinking about the LS, but you raise a good point. I think the LS will be the last great engine swap engine. It's hard to argue with the LS. Simplicity of a SBF, compact like a SBF, parts are as cheap or even cheaper than a SBF (depending on what you want to do with it), and you have the option to do a lightweight aluminum block or a tough as nails iron block cheap and right from the factory.

I have to agree, ive even heard rumors of the LS motors getting direct injection, which i think will make more power and get silly gas mileage.

On a side note, have you seen the new car craft? They did a 4.8L truck motor, stock bottom end, opened the top ring gap up(re-using the stock rings), and then re-assembled it with the used bearings, put a cam in it, stage 1.5 TEA CNC job, an OTS comp cam, and a fast intake manifold, then put twin 76mm turbos on it. The purpose of the test was to see how hard they could push the motor before it broke, it didnt break, if you didnt read the article just guess how much power you think the 292 cube motor with the turbos made...

I have to agree, ive even heard rumors of the LS motors getting direct injection, which i think will make more power and get silly gas mileage.

On a side note, have you seen the new car craft? They did a 4.8L truck motor, stock bottom end, opened the top ring gap up(re-using the stock rings), and then re-assembled it with the used bearings, put a cam in it, stage 1.5 TEA CNC job, an OTS comp cam, and a fast intake manifold, then put twin 76mm turbos on it. The purpose of the test was to see how hard they could push the motor before it broke, it didnt break, if you didnt read the article just guess how much power you think the 292 cube motor with the turbos made...

Actually, I did read that, I can't remember off the top of my head what it made, but it was something straight up retarded if I remember right. Into the 4 digit range, right? Didn't they THINK it was a 5.3L, but then found out it was a 4.8L after they tore it down AFTERWORDS?

I have to say though, I don't put a lot of stock into how much power an engine "survives" while on an engine dyno. Dynos always have MORE than perfect environment conditions, don't simulate drivetrain shock, and don't even come close to stressing the engine like a few passes down the track would. I have a MM&FF around somewhere where they pushed a turbo stock block 302 past 600hp, and an Engine Masters where they pushed a 331 with a 2-bolt 289 block to 750ish on the spray, both on engine dynos. Everybody knows that's suicide in "real life", but you can usually survive a glory pull like that in a dyno cell.

im waiting for a number lol, my buddy just got a 08 1500 with the 4.8 and it wont even spin the tire in the parking lot. this will make him feel better knowing it has hope after all

I agree, but I still think you have to get lucky on a Termi motor before it becomes cost effective. People are still asking $10K for junkyard Terminator engines. Even as badass as a Termi motor is, $10K is hard to justify. I'm sure you can find them for cheaper if you really look and wait for it, but $8K and up seems to be the norm.

Na, terminator motors may be 8k and up in junkyards, but in forum classifieds they hover around $6500 without trans.
Another $1500 for the t56.
For 10g's you could build yourself an 03 cobra engine out of an aluminator.
I'm into my swap probably somewhere between 9 and 10 grand total.
Didn't really want to spend that much, but once the ball started rolling i was either going to have a finished car or a pile of junky sitting in my driveway.

The good news about a terminator engine is that it holds it's value, unlike a 347. If i were to sell the engine I'd pretty much get 100% back out of it.
A pushrod engine you take about a 50% hit.
Luckily when i sold my ford racing 347 (new in crate) there was a shortage of them and someone at my buddies shop needed an engine asap, so i got 100%.

Actually, I did read that, I can't remember off the top of my head what it made, but it was something straight up retarded if I remember right. Into the 4 digit range, right? Didn't they THINK it was a 5.3L, but then found out it was a 4.8L after they tore it down AFTERWORDS?

I have to say though, I don't put a lot of stock into how much power an engine "survives" while on an engine dyno. Dynos always have MORE than perfect environment conditions, don't simulate drivetrain shock, and don't even come close to stressing the engine like a few passes down the track would.

Ya, they made 1200 hp with it, and thought it was a 5.3. i agree to a point on the engine dyno not being as hard on a motor. If something is gonna break, it will do it on the engine dyno. Ive been to a few dyno days at a friends machine shop, and i can honestly say that the stress the engine builder is put thru when he goes full boost on a fresh motor would disagree with that previous statement.

They also made over 60 dyno pulls that they claimed were mostly on high boost and over 900 on i think 15psi. The motor also made 450 hp at 7k with just H/C/I. Thats 1.54 hp per cube on motor and (haha) 4.1 hp per cube max effort.

What i took from the article is that if it was done right you could have a solid 700 hp motor for a long time.

I have a MM&FF around somewhere where they pushed a turbo stock block 302 past 600hp, and an Engine Masters where they pushed a 331 with a 2-bolt 289 block to 750ish on the spray, both on engine dynos. Everybody knows that's suicide in "real life", but you can usually survive a glory pull like that in a dyno cell.

If those blocks were filled i wouldnt call it suicide at all

The motor also made 450 hp at 7k with just H/C/I. Thats 1.54 hp per cube on motor and (haha) 4.1 hp per cube max effort.

See, SBF guys are always afraid of RPM. I know a stock block SBF isn't as "safe" in a high RPM capacity, but when you build a SBF that falls on its face after 5500 RPM, of course the LS is going to look like a god. So many street LS engines out there are driven to 6500 regularly, but maybe only %10 of the SBF community even considers going past the factory 6250 rev limit.

Meh, I could rant about that all day long. All I know is MY SBF is built to run past 6250. :evil:

If those blocks were filled i wouldnt call it suicide at all

Nah. Neither one was, IIRC. Might have had main girdles on them, but you know all that does is keeps it in a nice, tidy pile when it breaks. :p

The problem with project frankenstang was that it used the lightning engine, where the TB was above the blower.

Nobody remembers the dimly lit Fox500 project?

m5lp_1010_15_o+1988_ford_mustang_fox_500+redlines_gas_springs_installed.jpg

Looks like it'll fit to me :) I want one...

Attachments

• m5lp_1010_15_o+1988_ford_mustang_fox_500+redlines_gas_springs_installed.jpg
    m5lp_1010_15_o+1988_ford_mustang_fox_500+redlines_gas_springs_installed.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 72