Resolved Slow coolant leak dripping from passenger side frame rail.

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator
  • Sponsors (?)

I would recore a brass core, vs using one of the new, cheaply made replacements.

But, i concur about finding the leak first as pulling the core out is a lot of work. Granted you may need to do that anyway to find the leak. If you pull the carpet back there is an insulation pad against the firewall. Have you lifted that up to see if the leak is coming from between the firewall and the insulation pad?

I would recore a brass core, vs using one of the new, cheaply made replacements.

But, i concur about finding the leak first as pulling the core out is a lot of work. Granted you may need to do that anyway to find the leak. If you pull the carpet back there is an insulation pad against the firewall. Have you lifted that up to see if the leak is coming from between the firewall and the insulation pad?
Is it expensive to recore ?
I will check the insulation pad later today and let you know.

Last time i priced out out it was $100-125 at a local shop to recore the OE heater core.

A new replacement core is $40. The biggest part of the job is the labor, as the dash and the heater core box need to come out, and AC discharged if you have working AC.

Would it be better to get the stock heater core recored? Or get a brand new one from LMR?
I did one with the aluminum core that is available from LMR etc, was not impressed. The next one I did, got an OEM recored, much better. Only down side is cost.

FWIW, both of the ones I did, I was able to get it done with out discharging the AC system.

I did one with the aluminum core that is available from LMR etc, was not impressed. The next one I did, got an OEM recored, much better. Only down side is cost.

FWIW, both of the ones I did, I was able to get it done with out discharging the AC system.
Sweet, there are 4 bolts on the heater core cover and the rear 2 bolts are a pain to get out? Was it hard to get those out? how much was the oem recored?

It's likely the same exact core made by the same vendor. Not really a whole lot of companies making these parts for these cars these days.

If you look on Rockauto they are in the $30-40 range, and all look the same.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Sweet, there are 4 bolts on the heater core cover and the rear 2 bolts are a pain to get out? Was it hard to get those out? how much was the oem recored?
Yes the back ones are tight to get to, but I was able to. The recore was NOT cheap, was around $300 if I recall correctly. Probably more today, as material costs have gone up. Worth it to me.

You might want to shop around a bit. My $150ish quote was only a year ago and came from the recommendation of a place another Foxbody guy had his done.

Only reason I haven't done it is because it's sort of an old-school shop and a 45 min ride each way (in a direction i never travel) to drop off the core since they don't want me to ship it (and ship it back) for some reason.

I replaced my heater core about 7-8 years ago with Lmr 's kit. Came with new core, foam seal,and hose restricter,hoses,and clamps.
Not an easy job, but it's nice having the heat work.

Reactions: 1 user
In the pic the hose clamp was loose on the heater core and the left side and was leaking down from there .

Attachments

• 20220504_210358.jpg
    20220504_210358.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 41
I have a hose removal tool, not this one, but like it.

Amazon product ASIN B0079GPYR2View: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-80380-Hose-Remover-Set/dp/B0079GPYR2/ref=asc_df_B0079GPYR2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309735728871&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3850900211750384686&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1018185&hvtargid=pla-448516851056&th=1

Unlike Mustang5L5, I drive by the shop that did our recores (done 3 fox heater cores and 4 radiators for other cars) is very close to me, and I drive by every day. Took about a week.