Slow Leak in Cooling System

7upstang91

10 Year Member
May 30, 2008
Florida
There is a small leak in the cooling system somewhere. I've battled it for months now. I have replaced the pump. The car doesn't over heat(higher temp than normal) when driving normal. But minutes after the headlights are on or the A/C is running the temp goes in the "normal" but way to high zone. Even with it being full. Also I have flushed it three times with cleaner and still brown but not as dark.

I just put the UV dye into the radiator, trying to find my small leak. How long should I run this to find the leak? Any ideas?

Once I find the leak any idea on how to keep it cool when running the A/C?
Maybe a better coolant? Or one than claims it runs cooler?

Thank You for any help at all!

• Sponsors (?)

had the same problem once, turned out that the bypass hose on the thermostat side had a pinhole in it that was spraying right into the fan that then flung it all over to be evaporated. took me forever to find it. id say check your hoses for small leaks first then around the fittings for signs of a leak. good luck.

I had a pinhole size leak on the small hose leading from the T-body egr plate to the lower manifold (firewall side). The nipple on the manifold became rusty and eventually pierced through the hose. Took me the longest time to track that one down and it was by luck that I found it. It's nearly impossible to see back there. There were no obvious leaks or puddles and I only discovered the problem after hearing a slight hissing sound. The sound was so faint I only heard because I happened to have the hood up, the engine was still hot and the car was turned off.

do you have an electric fan or stock fan...if you have the stock fan the fan clutch could need replaced..my fan clutch went bad and caused overheating issues so i replaced it with an electric fan.
Posted via Mobile Device

If your coolant is brown after flushing, whats the oil look like? Check to make sure it's not milky. Wanna eliminate a head gasket. Are you losing any coolant? Has the car overheated in the past?

I second the thought of getting the cooling system pressure tester. I just rented one yesterday as I was trying to locate a leak as you are. Once I got it pumped up only to about 6 psi, water just started spraying. I found leaks where I was suspecting I had one but also found 2 more that I didnt even know about. You can get it at Autozone like Ebone said. I had to pay 75 bucks and when you bring it back you get your deposit back. I guess if I just kept it I would have it for 75 but its not a commonly used tool so its not something I would do. It will find your leaks tho. so it would be a good idea to get it.

I was damn pissed off cuz I found a small pin hole leak in my new 3 core Mishimoto radiator...grrrr.

Anyways, rent the tool and giter dun.....hahahaha. Good luck!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Get some aftermarket gauges bro. You cant trust those fatory gauges in your cluster for anything!! I learned my lesson hard with a failed oil pump that the factory gauge told me I had oil pressure until it got bad enough for the lifters to finally begin collapsing and then the oil gauge finally dropped to nothing. A little to late. Right then I took my other car down to autozone and got me a whole set of the little 2" gauges, water, oil and volts and put them in a 3 gauge pod on top of my A-Pillar. I love the look of them and they work great and they are something that you can trust are reading correctly. Its great for peace of mind which I will definately vouch for.

One other thing....If once you get an aftermarket gauge installed and still shows that you are overheating when running the a/c, try shining a light thru the condenser and make sure it isnt all clogged up. It prolly isnt but its always good to make sure. I think that whole deal is a fluke from your old cluster gauge but it may not be. The new gauge will tell you one way or another......l8r