SLP Loudmouth Exhaust Rattle

NK06Roush

May 3, 2006
Long Island, NY
Since I have an 06 Roush, I couldn't add the SLP loudmouths because of the square exhaust tips on the ROush mustangs. So the guy at SLP told me to just have a custom exhaust shop take out the mufflers and add a pipe in there - thats all the SLP loudmouths do, he said. So I went after talking to a few Roush guys that did the same thing. The exhaust sounds awsome - just like the SLP's. However I am getting a very bad rattle back there. It only comes in after the exhaust heats up like after 5 or 6 mins of driving. After that it is always there when I get on the gas even a little and also when its in gear but coming down to an idle. I brought it back to the exhaust shop 4 times today and each time they tried to adjust it. - Didn't work, same rattle:(

Anyway, I am thinking this is something back around the new exhaust, like one of the hangers or something is heating up and rattleing against something. I have checked my entire trunk, and bottom of my car for loose bolts, loose exhaust clips or anything noticable. - nothing. Thats why I think I can't see it because it only happens when its hot and the metal expands (well i think anyway) But have any of the real SLP loudmouth guys, or others like me that did this have any rattling? and how did you fix it?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have the SLP's and have the same problem. It's ok cold, but give it 20 or 30 minutes driving and it starts to rattle. I haven't figured it out yet. It's like something gets hot and expands. My best guess is the SLP's are a lot lighter and is not putting enough pressure/weight on the rest of the exhaust. Everything from the axel back is tight. So I think it's somewhere up in front of the axel.

NK06Roush said:
Since I have an 06 Roush, I couldn't add the SLP loudmouths because of the square exhaust tips on the ROush mustangs. So the guy at SLP told me to just have a custom exhaust shop take out the mufflers and add a pipe in there - thats all the SLP loudmouths do, he said. So I went after talking to a few Roush guys that did the same thing. The exhaust sounds awsome - just like the SLP's. However I am getting a very bad rattle back there. It only comes in after the exhaust heats up like after 5 or 6 mins of driving. After that it is always there when I get on the gas even a little and also when its in gear but coming down to an idle. I brought it back to the exhaust shop 4 times today and each time they tried to adjust it. - Didn't work, same rattle:(

Anyway, I am thinking this is something back around the new exhaust, like one of the hangers or something is heating up and rattleing against something. I have checked my entire trunk, and bottom of my car for loose bolts, loose exhaust clips or anything noticable. - nothing. Thats why I think I can't see it because it only happens when its hot and the metal expands (well i think anyway) But have any of the real SLP loudmouth guys, or others like me that did this have any rattling? and how did you fix it?

Thanks
IT CAN ALSO MEAN THAT THE CAT BACK IS LOOSE AND ITS HITTING THE REAR AXEL THATS WHAT HAPPENED TO MINE SLP ON MACH 1...

I had the same thing happening when I had my SLPs installed. What was going on in my situation was this:

With the SLP tips, you can adjust them to stick out as far as you want. The limiting factor on the drivers side is the hanger closest to the front of the tip, it is pretty long. I had mine slid too far back, and the end of the hanger was rubbing the frame once the exhaust was warmed up. I liked having the tips far enough out to read the SLP label, so I used my Dremel to shorten the hanger, instead of sliding the tip back.:D

Thats one thing you can check, hope it helps!

I had the same thing happening when I had my SLPs installed. What was going on in my situation was this:

With the SLP tips, you can adjust them to stick out as far as you want. The limiting factor on the drivers side is the hanger closest to the front of the tip, it is pretty long. I had mine slid too far back, and the end of the hanger was rubbing the frame once the exhaust was warmed up. I liked having the tips far enough out to read the SLP label, so I used my Dremel to shorten the hanger, instead of sliding the tip back.:D

Thats one thing you can check, hope it helps!

I installed JBA ax-backs on my 06 GT and had the same problem as mydnyghte and fixed it the same way he did. However, after that I still had a rattle on the passenger side. What I found was the passenger side muffler hanger toward the front of the car would rub on the hanger bracket after the car would warm up some. When the bracket rubber would warm up, it would flex more and allow the hanger to hit the bracket. I ground the bracket down some and that helped, but did not go away completely. I then took a small piece of small heater hose, slit it, and tie wrapped it on the bracket... solved the problem. This problem drove me crazy for weeks. I checked things and re-checked things under the car and in the trunk over and over until I found the rub. Hope this helps. :bang: