Smog legal intakes?

• Sponsors (?)

well the C & L Plenum isn't CARB approved because it doesn't have a CARB sticker or EO Number anywhere on it. but when it comes time to smog my car next year, if i have to i'll just take it off.

Islander03GT said:
I was wondering if the C&L intake tube or any of the other ones that people swear by here are CARB approved, so far the only approved one I've found is the K&N.

thanks
Uh Oh George.....

I didn't even think about CARB when I put my BBK in :bang: . WoW.... I guess I should make sure I still have my stock set up. Damn California Smog laws!! :fuss:

Yeah I know I could always switch come smog time... but I'd like to have some sembelance of legality in case an asshat cop decides to harass me.

I figure a CARB approved intake and a catted aftermarket x-pipe will get me by... doubt a cop would know that stangs are supposed to have 4 cats.

you gotta be careful but yea that would be ok...plus i honestly doubt a cop would go under your hood unless he suspected something was up, like you had aggressive cams or something..

eh, i used to think that way too... till my friend with a B16 swapped CRX got pulled over for exhaust and the cop asked him to pop his hood (damn CHP). Needless to say it wasnt a legal swap, but the cop really had no reason to look under there for "modified exhaust"

downsouthman1 said:
I don't think he's talking about a CAI; he's talking about an Upper Intake Plenum/Throttle Body.

i think he means the c&l intake tube as in their trueflow pipes, and he does mention k&n. they don't make k&n tbody/plenums =P.

just sorta got off topic. c&l and the plenum craze right now...

jose.martinez said:
The C&L Plenium looks so similar to the stock one , that a cop will have to be an expert on GT's to know the Difference. Plus the C&L Plenium won't affect your emissions.
i think you mean the accufab plenum looks close to the stock plenum....cause i have the stocker in front of me and the C & L looks very different.

damn man just don't open the hood. Unless the guy has reasonable suspicion that you've got drugs hidden under there or something else illegal, he doesn't have the right to search your car at all. Now for inspection you'll have to do something but don't worry about the cops that is unless he decides to just arrest you and impound the car...

I have a C&L plenum and I'm going to claim it's a direct replacement part and I read somewhere that direct replacement parts did not need CARB numbers? As for the K&N being CARB approved, only their drop in filter is CARB approved, I believe there FIPK or whatever is not CARB approved. I would get a full C&L setup if you have to have the inlet elbow, but I couldn't justify the costs.

2000GTnoExtras said:
I have a C&L plenum and I'm going to claim it's a direct replacement part and I read somewhere that direct replacement parts did not need CARB numbers? As for the K&N being CARB approved, only their drop in filter is CARB approved, I believe there FIPK or whatever is not CARB approved. I would get a full C&L setup if you have to have the inlet elbow, but I couldn't justify the costs.
umm my K & N FIPK has a CARB sticker.....so i have no idea what you are talking about. it was installed in august of last year and bought from JBA...as for claiming the C & L is a replacement, thats what i was planning on doing if i ever get stopped, BUT we'll see if it works or not...

1990StangLX said:
umm my K & N FIPK has a CARB sticker.....so i have no idea what you are talking about. it was installed in august of last year and bought from JBA...as for claiming the C & L is a replacement, thats what i was planning on doing if i ever get stopped, BUT we'll see if it works or not...
I stand corrected, I was thinking of their AirCharger® Off-Road & Racing Performance Kits

:nice:

I wouldnt think the a cop or a smog place would even notice an aftermarket plenum. Unless maybe it was chrome, especially if you dont have an aftermarket CAI. Im going to do one and am not worried about smog rules one bit.