smoke coming from steering wheel column someone please help??

GeLsTaNg215

Dec 7, 2004
Philly, PA
Hi, can anyone help me, i got an 87 GT stang and theres smoke coming from my steering wheel column and it smells like burnt plastic real bad. my headlights and fogs also dont work now only the parking lights come on.Does anyone know what this could be, im trying to avoid paying lots of money for an electrical repair shop to look at it if its something simple i can fix myself.Help be would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Were you driving a while with your headlights and your foglights on because that can cause your headlight switch to overheat and melt and cause your headlights not to work...I would check the switch.. if it isnt one of the other things mentioned.

Yeah I'd also recomend the VIN check at the Ford dealership. Untill then, I wouldn't even hook the battery up to car, just in case. :D It would suck to have a perfectly good car burn because of a 40 dollar part.

Once you fix the turn signal stalk you will have to do the fog light fix. Look over at the corral in the tech section. Do this before you run your fogs again or it just might melt again.

here it is once again, fogs are overloading the wiring, you need a relay setup...
S3010230.jpg

Attachments

• S3010230.jpg
    S3010230.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 110