Smoke Comming Out Of Oil Breather?

92GreenGT

PEAT
Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Big Stone Gap, VA
I cranked my car up this morning and I had the hood up. I let the car run for about 5 minutes or so, while it was running I saw a puff of smoke come out of the breather. What does this mean, or is it normal? I also noticed on my vacuum gauge I was only seeing around 13-14 inches on the gauge, before I hid some wires I was seeing around 15-17 inches. I might need to tighten some clamps up to make sure its not that. Hmm just kinda wondered what the smoke was comming out for.

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Could be pcv valve is gone bad or pinched off when you moved stuff could be vac leak could be valve seals..could be a few things, check your vac line routing to see if you pinched off the pcv line or any one of the others. With valve seals you can check with simple compression check or have leak down test done...either way car is not going to give up on you right away..if it's your daily then just show it some love.

It's not smoke, it's oil mist. You don't need a breather. I had one with my blower and it was just a porblem, so I took it off, and routed the line from the valve cover to in front of my blower, with a clear inline fuel filter as an oil separater.

If that mist is coming out, that means your PCV is not working. Sounds like it's unplugged and the hose to it is leaking somewhere.

BTW when you have the PCV hooked up, it's sucking air through the breather (unmetered). And when you make boost it is a potential boost leak.

BlackFox5.0 said:
It's not smoke, it's oil mist. You don't need a breather. I had one with my blower and it was just a porblem, so I took it off, and routed the line from the valve cover to in front of my blower, with a clear inline fuel filter as an oil separater.

If that mist is coming out, that means your PCV is not working. Sounds like it's unplugged and the hose to it is leaking somewhere.

BTW when you have the PCV hooked up, it's sucking air through the breather (unmetered). And when you make boost it is a potential boost leak.
Thats what I thought too. Thanks man, beucase I noticed after a good WOT run, their was oil back their on the firewall behind the intake. I also thought it was something to do with the PCV. I about figured I needed a new one, Guess I need to go buy a PCV valve and screen from ford. How hard are they to change? Can I cap it off or what?

Basically just tell me all things I can do to fix it. Thanks guys.

Dave

real easy to change..pick up the motorcraft pieces for safe measure. PCV valve itself, grommet, and screen. It's on the back of the lower intake, there's a good sized vacuum hose attached to it. just pull up and it'll be there.

Most parts stores carry the screen and any PCV valve will work, I know NAPA carries them screen is like $5.

The open breather on the valve cover is fine, just make sure the vent tube is capped off.

Rick 91GT said:
Most parts stores carry the screen and any PCV valve will work, I know NAPA carries them screen is like $5.

The open breather on the valve cover is fine, just make sure the vent tube is capped off.
Yeah, the vent tube is capped off. I swear guys, it looked like smoke and not some mist. I have a PCV valve out in the building thats not opened, I believe its made by FRAM. Most of their products suck, so I figured it would to. But if it would work that would be good. So I just need to get the screen and gromet. I hope its easy to change

Dave

hey, im having a similar problem.. my 1993 GT has oil/smoke comming from the breather on the valve cover. the car is supercharged, running on 9lbs of boost right now.. some of you said that i dont need the breather.. would all i need to do is put the cap on instead? does anything need to be re-routed for this? im also, going to replace the pcv to make sure thats not part of the problem either.

If you get smoke coming from the breather or oil it's called blow by... I've had the same problem with an old motor... Caused by compression rings on the pistons not sealing. It eventually got so bad it would chug smoke. But it started very suttle... Then I melted a piston and blow the rings out, and oh man... It really poured smoke and oil out of the breather.

Nick

Stang8URMPRT said:
If you get smoke coming from the breather or oil it's called blow by... I've had the same problem with an old motor... Caused by compression rings on the pistons not sealing. It eventually got so bad it would chug smoke. But it started very suttle... Then I melted a piston and blow the rings out, and oh man... It really poured smoke and oil out of the breather.

Nick
Yes, that just makes my expectations shoot right through the roof.:(

Dave

lol, Sorry. I'm just giving you my experiance. If it's smoking or oil coming out of the breather, or oil fill cap, it's caused by excessive crank case pressure, and most of the time it's caused by the compression rings going bad and thus... not holding the compression in the chamber and it getting to the crank case.

Nick

I had a similar issue with my PCV valve blowing out when my rings went last season. Like stated before it started slowely, but then escalated into the car smoking whenever running out the exhaust. It got so bad towards the end of the season I had to rebuild this year. Run a compression check and see where it stands. Im sure with a SCed car there is more at risk with bad compression, then with an NA car!