Sn95 Compromises

imp

Mustang Master
Jul 13, 2017
IMO. Have owned '65 (2), 66, 67, 67-GT500, 89, 90, 93 Cobra, and most recent, '94 GT. Between the Foxes and SN95, I see some negative changes. '94: The designers DID achieve a swooping downward front profile, which is good, compared to Fox, but at a cost of space. My Foxes had Group 65 batteries for example, big, high-powered brutes. SN95 has no room for a 65, uses 58, only 590 amp. 0-degree cold cranking amperage. Not a big thing, OK?

Constant Control Relay Module, CCRM, poor direction to go, to save cost. My '04 Explorer with it's miniscule 4.0L engine has separate relays, plug-ins, for everything, easily accessed. 'Course, lots of room there. That SN95 Freon hose crossing over the top of the radiator at an angle, well, it looks like a shade-tree add-on. The radiator "catch bottle" is humongous! 4 times needed size. I yanked that thing out, in favor of an aftermarket 2-quart deal that is more than adequate. In reality, I found expansion of the coolant from room temperature to around 200 degrees amounts to less than a 2-inch increase in level in the bottle, maybe 2 cups or so. Acceptable, so long as no leaks are present. I watch my fluid levels, always have. That's why hoods are openable!

Cup-holder? Laughable, mickey mouse deal extends up out of console enclosure, folds forward, my wife's insulated cup won't fit it. Windows? Also piss-poor, when compared to Fox. No frame, glass "seals" against rubber all around, leaks dust, rain no sweat, it don't rain here!

OK, I still LIKE the SN! GT model with it's hefty suspension, said to be stiffer than Cobra's (?), PLUS, those
narrow-sidewall 245/45/17s bounce and jar, but after 23 years, there are very few noises to be heard such as squeaks, suspension noise, etc. Still tight, after 162,000 miles. 5.0 runs smooth, T-5 shifts quite slick, 8.8 quiet as a mouse. Traction-Lok is dead, though, no surprise there. No leaks anywhere, not even rear main seal! Paint? Teal color, original, untouched, no sun-streak, still shines, except front valence a bit dull. Tail-light lenses hazy a bit, like headlamp covers.

I love this car! Like driving a REAL CAR again, after years of mushy, rolling ocean-going SUVs! imp

• Sponsors (?)

I loved my 03GT. Granted I bought it new and they just ride so sweet when new.

But seriously, I'd have no qualms about buying another SN car. Just debating what model to get as a pure cruiser. Top needs to come off. Pushrod or 96-98 Cobra

Reactions: 1 user
Some of the stuff you hate, I love about mine lol
Wait now, I never used the word "hate". In my mind, which admittedly is compromised when listened to by others, I see the "packaging" underhood of the SN95 as cramped, compared to the Fox. OTOH, when I look at the 5.0 sitting on the little cart on the floor of my shop, next to the car with hood closed, I can't imagine the oil pan not scraping the ground! "Engine packaging" is definitely commendable, IMO.

Underneath the car, few reasons to be unhappy. O2 sensor removal a "snap". My '04 Explorer, OTOH, a big oversized barge, yer hands come out looking like ground meat after finally getting a downstream O2 out! imp

Reactions: 1 user